angiecis

What is going on with my milkweed??

I have dots and it shriveled up oddly... I included a picture of some other milkweed I have in another container for comparison.

thanks
Attachments
seems healthy
seems healthy
sickly I think
sickly I think

john gault
Green Thumb

How much sun does that plant get? How many milkweed plants do you have and how many are healthy vs. sickly?

applestar
Mod

Pale dots look to me like indication of sucking pests under the leaves.

Also, try gently digging one out -- the netting around the jiffy pellets can hinder root development, especially with thicker rooted seedlings -- milkweed has taproot. It's best to snip the netting off when planting, or at least make tears/holes so roots can find their way past the netting and not get bunched up. Stressed plants will be targeted by pests.

angiecis

Thank you both so much!

The plant gets at least 7 hours of sunlight a day. Most of my milkweed is very healthy, I have noticed the ones I put in bigger pots are doing much better. I may transplant some of the smaller ones to a bigger container soon.

I did not know that milkweed had taproot, that is very good to know. I also am never quite sure when to tear my jiffy netting off or when I can keep it on. Thanks for the info!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Where are you and what milkweed did you plant? I'm thinking you have the Asclepias curassavica (tropical) and not one of the perennials species. The tropical fairly easy to start from seed on the windowsill, others need a chilling period.
I start plenty of the tropical and Ascepias incarnata (rose or swamp). (latter needs chilling). This for selling starts at the farmers market. Assuming you have tropical, I wait until it has several true leaves, and the roots showing out the bottom of the peat pellet. Once there, pot up to 4" pots, and for ease and because it works, use Miracle Grow potting mix. At this stage need dappled shade, shade cloth or something until stronger, and weather predictably warmer. Our frost is mid April, even though we've had some 70's. When potting the peat pellet, I tear down the sides a bit, and have it deep enough to put dirt over top.

How many in a pot?! I'll put 3 -4 in a 16" pot on the deck, mostly sun, 2 in a 12" pot. The plant sends up more stems and it will be full. I have them elsewhere around the yard, either starters to sell or ones I've potted. Even part shade works!

Now, back to your sicky ones. Looks like you have the cooties from H. Perhaps just trash them if they haven't recovered in more shade. I have several plants that get this, though haven't had them on the milkweed. A couple I keep trying thinking I'll get different results are Mountain mint and asters.

It's a learning process, challenging and fun!

imafan26
Mod

It looks like thrips. Spray under the leaves with oil or soap spray. You will have to do it repeatedly. BTW pests attack the weakest plants first. Take the plant out of the peat pellet netting.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”