Coop
Newly Registered

Indoor Cilantro and Chives help

Hello, I've started growing some cilantro and chives in my apartment. I live in Chicago so unfortunately the plants don't get as much sun as I think they should. Some of the leaves on the cilantro seem to not be doing so well. I'm very new to growing anything so I've attached some pictures.

Cilantro

Chives

Additionally, I'm unsure as to when I should remove some of the plants since I actually put a lot of seeds in there.

Thanks in advance!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

That cilantro definitely needs more light, as it is way too leggy. They can be grown as close as 3 inches, though 6-8 inches is the usual suggested distance. The chives can be much closer, and can get by with less light, but the stalks will be thinner with the low light level.

Coop
Newly Registered

Any recommendations on an additional light source I could use indoors for my herbs? Sun hasn't been out here for the last 2 days.

imafan26
Mod

Flourescent lights t8 daylight works well. It is best if you can mount it on a shelf rack The light should be adjustible so that as the plant grows it can be raised. You want it right above the seedlings (8 inches) for 16 hours a day.

applestar
Mod

This might be a good thread for you to check out --
Subject: Seed starting basics for newbies

I tend to use T8 (1" diameter fluorescent tubes) or T5 (5/8" diameter) -- 4 ft shoplights, 30" undercabinet lights, or 24" plant and aquarium lights -- or CFL bulbs in 10" utility lamps. Daylight 5000K-6500K, 100W equivalent or brighter.

I also think the cilantro are too leggy and weak to grow well at this point since the stem between the soil and the first seedleaves looks too thin to support even if you get them more light at this point. And most likely if the chives were in same predicament, it might be best to start over.

Good news is you can eat these first batch as micro-greens. Just clip them just above the soil level and scatter them on your salad, sandwich, soup or omelet. Cilantro microgreens can garnish tacos, even. :wink:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”