ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Any issues with fiberglass screen as a SIP liner?

(Searched around on line for a while and could find nothing pertaining to it. All I could find about fiberglass and plants were some people expressing concern about potential chemical / toxic leaching into the growing media.)

Have been working on building eight 12 gallon SIP's. Am at the point where I need to start cutting the landscape fabric to line the bottom to keep the mix from falling though the holes in the support plate. I have a lot of 3/8" holes drilled in those support plates and am pretty sure I will need something there.

The landscape fabric I have on hand is pretty heavy duty stuff. It is air and water permeable, but is a dense, thick, synthetic weave. To put it in perspective, I bought a huge roll of the stuff 6 years ago or so, cut 20' x 2' strips out of it to lay between rows in the garden as a weed barrier. Works great year after year and is showing little sign of wear. The stuff is not so easy to cut and I am thinking may not be the greatest for drainage and air flow as the liner in the bottom of a SIP.

Was rooting around looking for some stuff to build a sand sifting sifting screen that I will be needing. Came across a good sized roll of fiberglass window screen (sliding glass door size). Any issues using the much easier to cut fiberglass window screen as a liner in the bottom of my SIP's? Am sure it will hinder draining and air flow a lot less than the heavy duty landscape fabric.

Thanks much.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

If grubs get in the pot they can and will eat holes in the screen. It's also not ant resistant. If you can keep the grubs and ants out of the pots it's not a bad liner material.

imafan26
Mod

It should be o.k. However, if you wet your media before putting it into the SIP then it should not be falling into the reservoir much. It only does that if you put dry media in since it does not stick together and fall through the holes instead.

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Thanks much. Just wanted to check and avoid a bad assumption.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”