pete1606
Newly Registered

vertical planting

I was wondering if anyone knows how to build a planter that is vertically hung on a wall, but not allowing the dirt or plants to fall out. I know there are these type of planters in gardening magazines. But I rather build my own and it would probably be cheaper too. Btw I used google, I couldn't find any how to guides.

see pic below

Thank Peter

[img]https://www.eltlivingwalls.com/images/design01/home/home002.jpg[/img]

pete1606
Newly Registered

I found a related listing on this message baord, but it dosnt have any answers I'm looking for. The site it lists as a resource don't have the particular info I'm looking for either.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34477#34477

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I'm not all that great with tools but I have a checkbook if that counts for anything. I've got a few ideas that I'm going to mention from other projects I've completed and you might be able to modify what I've done for your planter. Several ideas come to mind. First, the copper tray I had built to size by a sheet metal professional that rests in the bottom of an oddball sized Wardian Case I have for jewel orchids. I couldn't find anything ready to buy that I could have placed in the bottom as a drip tray. Other Wardian cases I've been able to place standard sized glass pyrex trays down into but the size of this one really forced me into having something created. My tray is welded and it doesn't leak. It's soldered somehow into the corners of the Wardian case so that makes for easy cleaning. Have no idea how he did that. Second would be the removable trays I had created for my Martin House to be able to clean their compartments as well as to be able to check nestlings for blow flies. When checking for blow flies, I gently slide out the tray then slide it back in. When cleaning at the end of the season, I flip open the fronts of their homes, remove the trays, bleach everything, and place the trays back in and close it up. Those were also created by the same sheet metal professional. They also don't leak. Maybe you could create blueprints to the design you have above and make it yourself and then contact a sheet metal professional to create a tray or an insert for you that's just the right size so you don't have dirt all over the place? They'd multitask by functioning as a drip tray too. The copper will acquire a nice patina given time so possible an exposed tray design?

Next thought would be to purchase two (one to use and one to stash for a rainy day) plastic storage bins of some sort that you could directly plant into. I've seen decent window planters that are long and narrow that might work nicely for all of $15 a piece. Once you know what size you've got to work with, maybe design your hanging plant stand around a readily available product?

Bathrooms that have strong light and high humidity are great places to grow some species of orchids. I don't know if you're into orchids but I see a great area in your design to recess supplemental lighting as well as a back area for mounted specimens and if you had enough plants or could handle seeing exposed backing while your plant collection was growing, chicken wire could be used.

You've found what looks to be a very practical design there. One that is aesthetically appealing as well as functional and versatile. Wish I had a place for something like that.

NEWisc

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you had in mind, but I'm guessing that you want to use a soil/soilless mix in which to grow the plants; and not the felt technique mentioned in the other thread that you linked. And, in essence, you want to grow the plants in the side of the soil container. If so, then I think the concept on how that could be done can be illustrated by a bird feeder:

[img]https://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/img_p/ASP-075_200x385.jpg[/img]

It's the little "hoods" that extend into the feeder that keep the seeds from flowing out. With the bottom of the hood lower than the opening in the side, the seeds would literally have to be pushed up from below to flow out through the opening. It should work the same way with soil/soilless media.

Now I'm not suggesting that you should use a bird feeder for a planter. :lol: But the hood idea should allow you to construct any type of container that fits your needs, and allow you to place your plants vertically up the face of the container.

And I'm really hoping that this is what you were trying to find out, because this is really going to seem like a silly post if it isn't. :oops:

imagardener2

TheLorax: I'm not all that great with tools but I have a checkbook if that counts for anything.
_____________:lol:

When my husband built me a darkroom we had 3 young children so money was tight. For my processing trays sink my husband built a long trough-like sink into one of the counters out of plywood and then sealed it with several coats of oil-based enamel. I used that sink for a number of years running water and chemicals through it and it looked as good and was as water-tight the day he disassembled it as the day he built it.
TheLorax: Bathrooms that have strong light and high humidity are great places to grow some species of orchids. I don't know if you're into orchids but I see a great area in your design to recess supplemental lighting as well as a back area for mounted specimens
That would be really pretty. I really like that idea!

Hmmm, I wonder if I could get my hubby to build something like that for me for our bathroom... [img]https://geocities.com/d_m_g_s/emoticons/Deep-Thinker.gif[/img]

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”