steffenland

250W CFL distance to my two lemons trees?

Hi,

I got a 250W CFL light with an reflector that I'm planning to use on my two 3,5foot lemon trees as the single source of light during the winter, do anyone know at what distance from the tops I should place the light? I'm keeping the room 15degrees.

Also, I understand that the trees go semi-dormant during winter, will more light during winter season help my trees grow during this period or will too much light take it out of the semi-dormant and into summer state?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I've got 4 foot 40 watt florescent tubes over my wintering citrus. The lights are mounted on the ceiling and the pots are setting on the floor so about 8 feet, less than 3 meters. The temperature is what keeps them dormant. They need light to keep from losing their leaves but the temperature is most important. Mine even held on to some small lemons while being wintered indoors.

steffenland

I read on some online guide that there where 3 basic strategies for the semi dormant winter period, approx. 8 degrees with little light, 10degrees with more and 15degrees with alot of light, I got a insulated room in the garage where I keep my trees, I use the room as a gym and with the spare heat from the light (14hour/day), combined with a little oven and a fan on a thermostat I can keep it at 15degrees which is ok for working out.

My questions is, what is alot of light and how close do I need to bring the 2700k CFL to the top of the plants? now they are at 40cm

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Just one bulb for 2 plants? I think they each should have a light.

How warm do the fixtures get? With only 2700k they'll need to be pretty close to the top of the trees. The light should be less than 1/2 meter from the tops in order for the trees to get enough light. But if the fixtures get hot you have to move the lights away from the trees.

applestar
Mod

A way to get the most out of single or one-sided source of light is to surround the plants with as many light reflective surfaces as possible.

Bright white -- I use white drip trays as much as possible, and use white.shiny surfaces to put the plants on (recycled inside of chip bags) or mirror.shiny -- I like using emergency Mylar blankets which are inexpensive on the walls/sides and ceiling when possible. Using mirrors is good too. I have an 80's black lacquer with brass trim dresser mirror on the garage wall next to my two shelf V8 seed starting and overwintering nursery of double 4 ft fluorescent shoplight fixtures and I drape the open side of the shelves with a Mylar-covered foam car windshield reflector (used during the summer to keep the car from getting hot) -- this also acts as a bit of insulation.

In my Green Room (a room I use to keep my biggest plants), I have a floor torchere light that I have fitted with one of these and the 4-5 foot trees are positioned around it. These get a bit of sun from the window next to them.

2 x Photo Studio Photography 105 Watt 6500K Day Light Fluorescent Full Spectrum Bulb, LimoStudio,LMS121
by LimoStudio
Link: https://amzn.com/B005FRCUHY

Across the room, I also have a 4-tube T8 shoplight hanging from the ceiling on pulleys for height adjustment and the tallest avocado and mango tree canopies are only are few inches below the tubes. I have some of my citruses sitting on the floor below -- they are too short for full effect of the lights but they stayed green and lush all winter. The corner walls alongside are covered with Mylar emergency blanket from ceiling to about 10 inches from the floor, and two white washing machine pans on the floor beneath to protect the floor.

For smaller number of plants, white nursery trays and light color boot trays work well. For single large containers they sell large round galvanized feeder/waterer trays at farm stores/tractor supply/Amazon for about $3-$4.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”