Amanda Doofenshmirtz

Sanitizing pots

I was wondering if there was an easy way to sanitize large planting pots? I have a few rectangular ones I want to use this winter to grow cool weather vegetables indoors. All the instructions say to soak in 10:1 water and bleach. Id have to fill my bathtub full and add a gallon of bleach (or ten? How many gallons in a bathtub anyways?)

So I was wondering if anyone has any cool ideas for santizing larger pots. Specifically the long, rectangular ones. Can I wash them really well and spray bleach water on it with a spray bottle?

And I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that I should sanitize the rocks I put in the bottom of said pots. :wink:

applestar
Mod

I admit not doing this myself, but I do soak paper towels in cleaning solutions like baking soda slurry to plaster onto large surfaces like solid-top stove and broiler/roasting pans, then cover with plastic to "soak". Maybe draping from the top edges will help keep from sliding off, and you could spray on additional bleach solution for thorough coverage.

imafan26
Mod

I soak small pots in a 10% bleach solution in a bucket. For larger pots, I scrub them with a brush and soap and water and I spray them with bleach set them out about a week and rinse it off.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

If I haven't had problems with disease or pests in the pots I just hose them out and let them set in the sun a day or two before reusing. I know, you're supposed to sterilize the pots but I just don't get it done.

imafan26
Mod

It depends on what was in it before and what will go in next. If the plant that was in it died because of disease or virus, I would not re use the pot without sterilizing. If it was a virus for sure, I would not use the pot again. If the plant you are using it for next is not very susceptible to root rots then soap and water, a good scrubbing can sometimes be enough. Bleach and sun are better. If the pot does not breathe or have good drainholes, I would not keep the pot without more holes added.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”