Towlieee

Aphids, something else?

Sooooooo I grow on a 3rd story balcony, using a large 45 gallon tote for my watermelons (had 2, already cut one down, was gonna cut the 2nd down soon anyways) And a couple 5 gallon buckets that contain pepper plants.

Just now I went out, and was investigating y melon leaves, as the plant has sucked for the last few weeks, and I noticed TONS of TINY almost microscopic black dots, I investigated closer, and it appears they have legs, so I'm assuming some infestation, but pics of aphids online look green, so I'm insure.

Needless to say, the Melon plant is coming down today and hitting the trash, my 3 pepper plants are super healthy, and I haven't investigated SUPER CLOSE YET, but I haven't seen any of these tiny fkers.

I have had a fungus gnat infection for over a month, but I know it's not them, or I don't think.... . But these things look like "needle pin sized" little fkers and I'm unsure what they are. I will try and take a photo with my phone, there are clusters of dozens of them on some leaves of my melon plant!

Towlieee

They are definitely insects, I'm curious as to what they are, and what to do about them for next years grow, and how to make sure my peppers stay safe!

The melon vines are going in the trash after I make this post, but I want my peppers to live! My one Jalapeno plant has a good 50+ Jalapeno's that are maturing lol

Edit: The investation was even worse than I thought, I seen probably 50+ on just ONE leaf of my giant 13 foot+ melon vines, needless to say they are now trashed and gone

Now to focus on my peppers, which I've checked over half ass and they look fine so far :(

imafan26
Mod

They look like black aphids. Aphids come in a variety of species and colors. You can use horticultural oil on them as long as it is not very hot over 80 degrees. Soap and peppers are not a happy combination. Soap can make the leaves curl.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, aphids. Aphids are easily eliminated with soapy water spray. Make sure it is actual soap (like Dr. Brunners), not detergent which is more likely to burn your plant. If you are worried about the soap spray affecting the plant, just rinse it off afterwards.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”