MadDoctor
Newly Registered

Balcony Containers

I'm new here, looking for ideas for next years balcony planters. I live in Southern Ontario in an apartment. I have two planters, about 40cm wide on my balcony. In the morning the west facing balcony is shaded by the building but gets full afternoon sun.

This year, I planted purple sweet potato vines at the back so they would cascade down the outside. I put a row of geraniums (from Canadian Tire) across the middle (red-white-red-white-red like the Canadian flag). I put a bunch of pansies in the front because I like the vibrant colours they can have.

Somebody threw out my 2-litre watering bottles early in the summer (They always seem to be on sale for 99cents, but they weren't for a while after that. I could bring myself to pay over three dollars when they would be on sale in a few days.) so they received less water for a while (about a litre per day per pot unless I forgot that day) The pansies wilted often, then died. The potato vine crowded the geraniums which show little growth and minimal flowering. :(

As I said, I'm looking for ideas for next year. I'd like something colourful to hang to hang out the back that does not have flowers that have to be pinched off when they fade. Something that will enjoy hanging, but not crowd the pot. Are the Geraniums too close to grow properly? If so, what else could be used for the flag effect. I was hoping the pansies would drape a bit over the front, but they were more interested in growing towards the sun and crowded themselves.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”