patinthehatramsey
Newly Registered

Designing Maximum Container Aeration

:idea: Please advise how to improve Aeration and Drainage in 5 gallon plastic bucket. Wish to plant vegs. in my rich native dirt-coarse sand-crushed lava rock mix. Some suggest venting the walls, inserting hollow tubes, even injecting low pressure air. Your good counsel and ideas much appreciated, Pat.

imafan26
Mod

It would be better not to use dirt although the sand and lava rock will improve drainage. I don't know what your soil is like. What grows well in that type of soil now. Certain plants like very acidic soils like azaleas and blueberries. Most plants like slightly acidic soil and a few tolerate or desire very alkaline soil. You should also have some organic matter mixed in although I have trouble using anything except vermicast in pots. Composts are usually akaline if they are aerated composts. Peat moss is acidic.

Drainage in the bucket is not the biggest issue, it would be what the final texture and balance of organic/inorganic matter in the soil will be. You will also have to fertilize.

I found a recipe for using garden soil but the article said, using garden soil had its own issues like weed seeds and undesirable bacteria if the soil is not sterilized first. I have tried sterilizing soil, I will never do it again, It stinks.

The recipe
1 part garden soil
1 part peat moss (organic matter) or mature compost
1 part perlite or coarse builder's sand. Not beach sand. You could probably substitute crushed lava rock.

https://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/hot ... _mix.shtml

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I would make a self-watering planter from the bucket. They work very well.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”