nikip
Newly Registered

really need help want to start a container garden

Does anyone have any advice on how to start a container veggie garden. I really want to start something for some fresh veggies and fruit but don't know what to do. I would like it to be organic if possible. What do I do. I don't want to dig up my yard so I thought that maybe I could use some nice pots on my padio or in the house. Any ideals. The other thing is I don't know what season to plant what for example we like green beans, okra, tomatos, peppers. and strawberries. Also one other questions I live near a canal and seen a snake in my backyard before would I have to worry about that because of a garden on my padio , and what about bugs I read on some articles about having a problem getting rid of bugs when you have one. I would not want a bug problem because it will be near my door. Any help would be appreciated.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I really don't like snakes either and ever once and a while come across a nake in my garden but, so long as they are not poisnous they can't hurt you.

Garter snakes keep slug populations at bay and are helpful in the garden. But, no you probably won't find a snake in a container garden but there is always a miniscule chance. (Probably less than 1%)

Insects should be around your garden no matter what form it is in. The trick is to attract beneficial insects that will keep pests and detrimental herbivores at bay. You can do that by planting various flowers like baby blue eyes, marigolds (marigolds will also attract aphids away from other plants so, if you don't want marigolds covered with Aphids in your container garden don't plant them), cosmos attract various insects but, get quie large, primroses attract beneficial insects as do many other flowers. Basically, you want to plant flowers that have a high nectar content.

https://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/factsheets2/insectpest/jan94pr1.html

Also, you can buy ladybugs that will eat aphids. Spray a diluted sugar/water solution over you plants to keep the ladybugs around your container garden.

Basically, to start a container garden buy some containers, fill them with good soil, compost and manure and plant your seeds. Do this once your temperature has warmed a bit. You can also buy plants to put into your containers from local nurseries, supermarkets and many other stores.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”