robyn514

oil rub for houseplants

I noticed that the plants in my local grocery store were shiny and lustrous. I looked closer and could see and feel that they were rubbed with oil. They looked great but I was curious if over the long-term that oil would clog the pores on the leaves and kill the plant. Any thoughts?
Robyn

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well having no experience in using oil to massage plants I can offer this thought:

Plant leaves are covered with stomata that allow the plants to vent and absorb gases and presumably the oil could clog these pores and make difficult for the plant to photosynthesize and expel the waste gases from photosynthesis (Oxygen).

And oxygen in the form of the Oxygen free radical can damage tissue quite drasticly if there are not built in reactions to subdue this byproduct of several physiologic processes.
If you actually massaged some sort of oil into a plants leaves, I would surmise that it could forseeably cause a few problems.

However if you just sprayed an oil on the plant periodically and lightl brushed the plant, it could be okay.

What does everyone else think?

alisios

an oil massage!?!

*jealous at plants*

Grey
Greener Thumb

alisios wrote:an oil massage!?!

*jealous at plants*
me too!

I do recall that putting oil on plant leaves is OK if it's a shade or indoor plant. Putting it in the sun with oil on it might equal fried plant.

I would think a little olive oil on a rag would work just fine.

robyn514

Well, I appreciate the input. The plants in the store looked really nice with the oil rubbed on the leaves........green and shiny. They were low light indoor plants.
I tend to agree with Opabinia, it seems it would clog the pores..........I'll experiment and let ya'll know what happens :)
R

otnorot

Sorry folks but its not oil its a product sold to make leaves shine and look nice and its closer to urathan than oil, its called leaf shine and its not good for your plants its just a money maker for some manufacturer.
Bill

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”