Starsong07
Newly Registered

Mushrooms with newly repotted Xmas cactus

Hi folks, new to the forum, but it looks like a very informative place. :)

I was hoping to get some ideas on a problem. I've recently repotted a Christmas cactus in soil for succulents in a new plastic pot. The soil was "organic", and I realize this may be how the mushrooms got started...

Anyway, I'll post pictures when I can, but every day or so, I'm getting rapid-growing tall, thin mushrooms. They have white stalks and grayish caps. I keep pulling them, but they keep growing back. The cactus is fine with low watering, but every time I do water, I get another several days of mushrooms.

My other concern is that I have cats. The cactus is non-toxic, but I've not heard of gray potted-plant mushrooms before. My questions are: are they toxic, and how do I get rid of them?

Thanks very much in advance!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Any medium (soil) that has organic material will ultimately be consumed by mycorriza (those little threads that make up most of a mushrooms body). When conditions are right those little threads will send up a fruiting body. The mushrooms you are seeing.

They are a just about inevitable part of the micro-herd that lives in your garden and pots.

To my old eyes your mushrooms sound like inky-caps. They are ephemeral (here today, gone tomorrow) they will not poison you and are unlikely that your cats will eat them.

If it was my christmas cactus, I might space out my watering by a day or so. I would also pluck out any mushrooms I found to return my plant to its esthetic best. Keep calm, and carry on.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

And Starsong, your state-province and USDA zone should be entered into your signature line. It will get you better answers, even with indoor plants.

Starsong07
Newly Registered

Excellent. I appreciate the information very much. I will try your advice. :)

(As for the signature line, did you mean the location? And if so, did I fix it?)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”