Sparkling4Jesus
Newly Registered

What kind of plant is this?

SAM_1810.jpg
I got this plant in a planter that was given to me, and I'm trying to find out what kind it is? I've started some slips off of it, just by leaving the stems in water. Any ideas? I tried searching it on Google Images, where you can upload a picture, but all it comes up with is "plant". As if I didn't know that already, lol. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Plectranthus amboinicus? LINK

With many common names ...

I can't see the leaves very clearly but the fragrance from crushing a little should be an indication of whether it may be what is known as broadleaf thyme.

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I disagree. While that pic isn't awesome, I think it's is some type of Kalanchoe -- maybe Millotii? The leaves look a little to fleshy to be Broadleaf Thyme.

It isn't getting enough light right now. It needs loooooooooots of light right now, then in the fall, you can bring it in, and it they will usually bloom once the light hours are reduced. But for right now, it needs lots of light. I might would think about upotting this one, with the new rooted cuttings, and then put them outdoors in a super sunny spot. They don't require much water, but do need some. When it starts getting cooler, or there is a danger of frost, bring them inside and put them in the sunniest spot you have. Thwy will likely bloom. it's usually orange, red, or salmon colored, and they are beautiful!

laurie basler

Kalanchoe. They are sort of a little gift plant in my area, as our climate requires them be indoors most of the year. They seem to sit on desks while in bloom, and go to the dumpster when flowers fade and growth becomes leggy from low light. Most often treated like a cut flower gift here.

Sparkling4Jesus
Newly Registered

Thanks for all the input! It's been living as an indoor plant here in Saskatchewan, I think our cold -40 winters would be too much for it outside, but it has never yet bloomed or produced any buds or flowers, yet I have it sitting close to a window, which gets lots of natural light. I would have uploaded a better picture, but unfortunately due to the max file size, I had to cut down the quality.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You can leave it out in full sun until frost. It's day time sensitive, and it needs more light than its getting right now. That's why it's so long and leggy. Should be bushy-ish.

I would upsize the pot, and plant it in some cactus mix, then leave it outside UNTIL you get close to frost time then bring it indoors for the winter. When you restrict daylight AFTER its used to getting longer daylight times, THAT is when it will bloom! :()

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”