marydeas
Newly Registered

Transplanting Aerogarden plants to containers

I got the AeroGarden Pro for Christmas this year and the oregano is growing real fast so I'd like to move them into pots. SO! my question is what kind of soil would I need to use that has the appropriate nutrients, I don't want my oregano to die when I switch over from h20 and nutrient tablets to soil.
And also, if anyone has experience with the aerogarden, how do I remove the plant itself. I noticed the roots have grown into the sponge, do I just plant the whole thing?
First post, thanks for any help.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Just buy some potting soil from one of your local nurseries and a bag of manure (I like mushroom but, steer, pig, sheep, chicken will all work if composted first). Add about a handful of kelp meal to the soil when mixing it with the manure.

Place the entire mixture in a pot, dig a hole that is twice as wide as the root ball of your plant, partially fill with a little manure, place the root ball in the hole and fill the soil around it.

Then water the plant and just keep the soil moist.

Don't use nutrient tablets, these are synthetic nutrients that you will be dependent on continually adding to the soil. If you put a slow release organic fertilizer like manure and kelp meal in your soil, you will not have to add nutrients to the soil until you repot your plant when the roots fill your current pot.

Furthermore, the use of synthetic fertilizers can burn your plant if you add to much and synthetic fertilizers kill beneficial soil flora and fauna that protect your plants from disease.

Basically, it's easier, cheaper and healthier to use organic soil amendments.

marydeas
Newly Registered

Oh I only use the nutrient tablets because the aerogarden is soilless and you have to drop them into the water, they come with the seed kits. But the info you gave me on transplanting sounds helpful. Thanks so much!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are more than welcome.

You can also use liquid organic fertilizers like Liquid Seaweed and Liquid Fish fertilzers (smells), once your plants are established.

Grey
Greener Thumb

opabinia51 wrote:You are more than welcome.

You can also use liquid organic fertilizers like Liquid Seaweed and Liquid Fish fertilzers (smells), once your plants are established.
LOL Opa... ever since a poster created a thread announcing that we should have warned him that fish fertilizer smells, we are all making sure we tell people that it stinks! (Actually, that thread had me in stitches... it really tickled my funny bone for some reason!) :lol:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh, I've always warned people of that. For this reason alone, liquid fish is not a good fertilizer to use as an indoor fertilizer. Especially for those in an apartment.

marydeas
Newly Registered

good thing I came back on to check the thread before doing that haha

ridethespiral
Newly Registered

I planted a jalapeno plant from johnny seed and it gre about 2 feet tall in the aerogarden. After taking it out, and potting it up with good soil, humus, and mushroom compost, all leaves are drooping. Any advice?! Thanks!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Keep watering; it will pick up...

HG

ridethespiral
Newly Registered

yeah, it still looks like death. I don't know...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Mushroom compost can be high in salts and otherwise nutritionally spent (Shrooms work soil HARD). I do not recommend it as a soil amendment in anything more than a ten percent addition...

Plus in the aero system it was root wet all the time and indoors; you raised a sissy. Give it a bit to acclimate and get it's feet, RTS. Some real heat will perk it up; peppers love hot and dry; in short supply for much of the country right now...

ridethespiral
Newly Registered

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Mushroom compost can be high in salts and otherwise nutritionally spent (Shrooms work soil HARD). I do not recommend it as a soil amendment in anything more than a ten percent addition...

Plus in the aero system it was root wet all the time and indoors; you raised a sissy. Give it a bit to acclimate and get it's feet, RTS. Some real heat will perk it up; peppers love hot and dry; in short supply for much of the country right now...
"RTS"?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Everyone gets an acronym with me, except for Rot, who kept it short in the first place :lol: .

Ride The Spiral

RTS!

HG

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”