MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Indoor plant advice needed

Despite many years as a gardener and landscape designer my knowledge of interior plants is fairly limited and I need some suggestions.

Growing conditions:
East and north light (the east wall is almost entirely glass) at 44 degrees north latitude
Temps - a fairly steady 60 - 70F with very little day/night swing
Ambient humidity- low in the winter (35% - 45%) and medium to high (55% - 65%) in the summer.

Plant habit:
I need a couple larger plants - 4' - 7' tall but no more than 2' - 2-1/2' wide
plus several plants mostly in the 1' to 18" height range.

What are your favorites that meet these criteria?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well, a smaller plant that would meet that criteria would be African Violet (you need more than one for blooms). I've also found that Mother-in-law tounges (snake plant?) do well in that light, and there are some really, really neat varieties of snake plant out there these days, with varigated foliage, some newest ones I saw in a gardening mag. have red or purple tones - really neat!

Ponytail palm will get taller (I have a Drachonea that is almost 6' tall), Ficus can also fit that criteria.

That's all I know. Most of my indoor plants are philodendrons and something a local calls "Grandpa's Pipe" - which spreads EVERYWHERE and puts out pups faster than rabbits.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

MaineDesigner,

For the larger plantings consider Ficus. Although they thrive in full sun they will do reasonably well indoors in a bright location. You did not mention how far from the windows the planters will be but be advised that light levels drop off dramatically as the distance form the source increases.
[url]https://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Weeping_Fig.htm[/url]

Norm

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”