munineye
Newly Registered

Suggestions for Container Herb & Vegetable Garden

So I'm new to gardening, really, having not raised much before (besides simple things like rosemary and killing a few basil plants).

However, I'm planning on starting a few containers on our back patio. I already know how some of these things grow, so really I'm looking for whether any of this is practical.

First, a lemon tree. I'm in Nashville, and the winters do get cold. However, I plan on putting the pot on a small dolly so it can be brought indoors once it gets cold out. However, the book I have doesn't say what kind of sunlight the lemon tree needs. Any suggestions?

Second, a large combination pot with tomatoes in the center and basil around the rim. I've been noticing that basil is an annual and may be best suited to a sunny windowsill rather than the sometimes chilly outdoors. By being an annual, this does mean it has to be replanted every year, correct? (Like I said, I'm quite new at this.) Also, I've been reading that tomato is a very demanding plant and takes a lot out of its soil. Any suggestions?

Third, a few hanging boxes from the patio railing. These will be standard herbs for cooking and teas. I've been looking at soil considerations for each type and it looks like sage, thyme and bay will go together well, and marjoram, oregano, and chamomile will as well. Mint will go in its own pot, as I've been reading that it sort of takes over things. Rosemary will be in a large pot on the porch, as it also tends to take over the world. (Good thing I cook with it as often as I can.)

Any suggestions or does this sound like a fair beginning to a container-based herb and vegetable garden? I don't plan on including any flowers unless they're edible, by the way. This is strictly for cooking purposes. All of the plants mentioned here will be coming from a little nursery nearby as seedlings or larger, ready to plant in their pots.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

munineye,

Welcome to the forum.
First, a lemon tree. I'm in Nashville, and the winters do get cold. However, I plan on putting the pot on a small dolly so it can be brought indoors once it gets cold out. However, the book I have doesn't say what kind of sunlight the lemon tree needs. Any suggestions?
Although I don't see too many citrus in PA I feel pretty confident suggesting full sun for your lemon. Make sure the potting medium you choose has excellent drainage and the pot itself allows water to drain freely.
Second, a large combination pot with tomatoes in the center and basil around the rim.
I think I would isolate the Basil from the Tomatoes simply because the Tomatoes may tend to overrun the Basil in pot culture.

Perhaps some others can offer some further thoughts.

Norm

Grey
Greener Thumb

munineye wrote:So I'm new to gardening, really, having not raised much before (besides simple things like rosemary and killing a few basil plants).

However, I'm planning on starting a few containers on our back patio. I already know how some of these things grow, so really I'm looking for whether any of this is practical.

Second, a large combination pot with tomatoes in the center and basil around the rim. I've been noticing that basil is an annual and may be best suited to a sunny windowsill rather than the sometimes chilly outdoors. By being an annual, this does mean it has to be replanted every year, correct? (Like I said, I'm quite new at this.) Also, I've been reading that tomato is a very demanding plant and takes a lot out of its soil. Any suggestions?

Third, a few hanging boxes from the patio railing. These will be standard herbs for cooking and teas. I've been looking at soil considerations for each type and it looks like sage, thyme and bay will go together well, and marjoram, oregano, and chamomile will as well. Mint will go in its own pot, as I've been reading that it sort of takes over things. Rosemary will be in a large pot on the porch, as it also tends to take over the world. (Good thing I cook with it as often as I can.)

Any suggestions or does this sound like a fair beginning to a container-based herb and vegetable garden? I don't plan on including any flowers unless they're edible, by the way. This is strictly for cooking purposes. All of the plants mentioned here will be coming from a little nursery nearby as seedlings or larger, ready to plant in their pots.
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Rosemary tends to just get BIG after a couple of years. It prefers well-drained soil, I actually tend to combine it with my roses and lavender as they have similar needs and don't like "wet feet."

I will caution on having oregano, chamomile, and marjoram all in the same pot, as many people cannot tell the difference between them by sight at first, and unless you let the chamomile bloom, it's a pretty all-green basic pot. I usually mix in a couple of flowers or another kind of foliage plant with my herbs for interest, such as tricolor sage or purple basil.

Basil gets LARGE. It prefers full sun, and many times is 3' tall. I'd put it toward the back of your pot, and then put oregano at the front (it spills over so beautifully) or thyme, and add in maybe chives, bay or sage in its first year in the center (sage is a perennial, so that will be it's pot next year)

If your pots are big enough, yes basil and tomato grow very nicely together. I interplant them myself in my large boxes, I am so fond of the smell of Basil that I grow lots, and lots, and lots of it.

Good luck! Sounds like you have been doing your research!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Rosemary does well in a pot as you have read, they do tend to grow vigourously once established in a garden. You can try a bay tree in a pot as well.

Don't over water your plants, Check to see if they need water by inserting your finger in the dirt of your pots. If it fells damp, your plants don't need water.

Grey
Greener Thumb

LOL let me attest to checking pots - ALL of them - before watering!

I have a large number of plants I am overwintering in my house. I checked about half of them, feeling the soil 1" down to see if they needed water. Since all of the ones I checked were dry, I assumed they all were dry.

Well, of course, there is one over my desk. I have two large monitors, one big CPU, and a laptop. I did not check the soil on this plant, I just added water. The plant had plenty of water BEFORE I watered it, so it overflowed, spilling water EVERYWHERE and had me running for a towel trying to protect my computers & equipment.

Since then, I check EVERY pot before I water.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I've done that! Oh my goodness, have I done that. :roll:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”