trishajam
Newly Registered

Indoor Bird of Paradise infected with mold

We bought a Bird of Paradise plant over a month ago and while dusting it the other day, I noticed that beneath the leaves were mold. Upon closer inspection, the talks of the plant was affected as well. I know that fungus is most likely due to misting it and not having enough air flow. My question is, what can I do to ensure its survival? I've removed the highly infected leaves and have cut off portion of the stalks that have really bad mold. The base of the plant is purple and I can tell its caused by the mold. I've applied some neem oil on the plant. I'm really concerned about the base of the stalks and how they're purple instead of green.
One of the highly infected stalks that I removed
One of the highly infected stalks that I removed
Behind the purple-ing stalk is mold
Behind the purple-ing stalk is mold
I don't think I removed this stalk. I just wiped off the mildew and applied neem oil
I don't think I removed this stalk. I just wiped off the mildew and applied neem oil
Here is the base of the plant. As you can see, there are significant areas that are purple
Here is the base of the plant. As you can see, there are significant areas that are purple

imafan26
Mod

Probably mealy bugs not mold they like to hide in leaf avils. Insecticidal soap should hep. so would taking the plant outside if you can and really blasting water down the leaf axils.

trishajam
Newly Registered

Thanks for the feedback! I think you are right! I've looked into mealy bugs treatment and taken the plant outside. I hope it will help

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”