NewWillowGarden
Newly Registered

Mother Aloe Plant Sick - How to Revive?

:cry: My poor Mother Aloe plant has been totally the biggest challenge I've ever had with a plant. My mentor and friend, passed away 2 years ago and her Mother Aloe plant was willed to me. However, since day one, she has slowly been dying. First I chalked it off as to the shock of environmental changes. I've changed the pot to something bigger thinking that would help. Changed the sun and watering exposure schedule so many times, I'm not sure anymore what works or not. I think I finally got it growing again (I know this because, the baby that stoped growing before, finally started growing again, which u can see it in the picture below). However, I still need help as you can see in the pictures below. ANY suggestions u can give, I would really appreciate! This Mother Aloe plant really means a lot to me (but it seems my knowledge isn't enough) and I truly want it to thrive. I know some of the basics (obviously) but I only know what I've read through research on Internet. I would LOVE to hear about true experience with growing Mother Aloe plants. Thank you for your time. :(
Attachments
IMG_20160529_235503289.jpg
IMG_20160529_235533377.jpg
IMG_20160529_235522553.jpg

Asica

I live in Cali so I am spoiled here with sun for my aloes. But here are the tips that are important with those plants:
It is a succulent so it loves sun
Well draining water
Water only when the soil is dry
Hole in a pot is a must, no standing water
Now this may sound crazy, but if I was you I would cut the plant, leave enough stem so it can stand. You let that dry out for a day or two. Put it in a new soil, new pot, new beginning.
I do that all the time with all the succulents. I even dig out aloe from a trash, someone was throwing them out! They are growing beautiful.

applestar
Mod

I agree -- the way the new leaves are skinny and stretched out instead of coming out from same place to me indicates it's not getting enough sunlight. Aloe can get sunburnt until they are acclimated, and even then, but they do like at least a good east-facing window or one side of south-facing window where it will get direct sun while it is shining in. Aloe is actually one plant I don't put outside for the summer because I've had trouble -- sunburn, too much humidity, etc. -- so it's perfectly Ok to grow them indoors, just need to find the best spot.

The soil in your pot looks too dark and rich and not sandy enough. I mix 1/3 sand to regular potting mix. It also looks over potted -- too much moisture holding soil for the size of the plant. If this is a plastic pot, it would be better in clay pot and I would suggest an azalea/bulb/cactus pot which is shallower. If you are nervous about cutting off the plant to grow new roots, you could also plant shallowly up to the base of the leaves -- put some strategically placed rocks around it to hold it upright until it grows roots from the lower bare stems to stabilize.

Some of my aloe are neglected to the point that I don't water until I see the color change and the soil is completely dried out. But it survives. Bigger ones sometimes fall over even in clay pots. So I would say better to underwater than overwater.

Andershay
Newly Registered

HELP....my aloe may have sunburn?? Is this a thing? How do you know if it is? How do I reverse the damage? I'm new to growing plants. I don't know what kind of light my plant needs or what to do about the damage I have done. I know they are top heavy and need drainage. I water once every two weeks and about 2 cups is this too much? The pic is 2 days after watering. I move my plants from inside to outside since I live in an apartment that doesn't get direct sun. Should I not move them? I don't know what I'm doing so I'm inconsistent in how long my plants are outside. Help is very appreciated.
Attachments
20160603_122016.jpg
20160603_122049.jpg
20160603_102601.jpg

NewWillowGarden
Newly Registered

:-() Thank you two very much for your comments and suggestions. I am not quite sure what I want to do at this point. This plant is so important to me, that I want to be careful on what I do, so I don't loose it. I think I am going to definitely change the soil and re-pot it. I was already thinking that this should be done anyhow. So thank you for the suggestions about soil and pots, that will definitely help my process. I am going to think more on if I will be cutting it for a new beginning or not. I have done that with other aloe plants (in fact, I have two baby plants that came off the mother months ago and so far they are doing good). The watering thing is really tricky. I try not to give too much at one time and I also try to stay away from the roots (by watering the soil around it and not directly on it, trying to avoid any root rot). As far as the sun, I live in Wisconsin, so weather (even in the summer) fluctuates so much and gets very humid. So I've kept it inside most of the year but I do put it outside usually around the end of June/beginning of July (so there is no chance on getting colder than 60 degrees). But bring it back in once the heavy humidity hits late summer. I think over the winter this last year, I had it in the wrong place inside and it didn't get a lot of sun over the winter. So I moved it to where it is now and it gets a lot more sun now. Although, I may move it a bit more again to make sure it is getting enough sun. Thank you again and I will give updates on what I changed and how it is doing.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member
Location: Potomac Highlands region, West Virginia, USA (Zone 6a?)

Andershay wrote:HELP....my aloe may have sunburn?? Is this a thing? How do you know if it is? How do I reverse the damage? I'm new to growing plants. I don't know what kind of light my plant needs or what to do about the damage I have done. I know they are top heavy and need drainage. I water once every two weeks and about 2 cups is this too much? The pic is 2 days after watering. I move my plants from inside to outside since I live in an apartment that doesn't get direct sun. Should I not move them? I don't know what I'm doing so I'm inconsistent in how long my plants are outside. Help is very appreciated.
Yes, Aloe Vera plants can indeed sunburn. When I accidentally gave my Aloe Vera plant a less severe sunburn, it turned a light brown on the top of nearly all of the leaves. When I moved it a few inches to where no direct sunlight hit it, it eventually recovered back to it's green color again. They can handle a small amount of direct sunlight, or can survive on completely indirect sunlight, such as besides a northern-facing window. I simply kept mine indoors all of the time.
It is normal for them to be 'top-heavy'. If it bothers you when it leans, you can prop it up with a rock or something. As long as they have intact roots, they will be ok. Based on your 'baby aloe plants' and my limited experience, I would suggest keeping your watering about the same, and move it into more shade. I had to adjust my watering frequency and amount based on a few factors, since aloe plants don't like 'wet feet'. Factors include the container size, water drainage, and the 'soil mixture' used (mainly how well it dries out again). I eventually learned to water only when the soil surface was dry to the touch, but mine was planted in a small container. If it helps you, think of watering an aloe plant as though a slightly thirstier cactus.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”