Lisxoxo
Newly Registered

Insects eating my pepper leaves

Hello all!!
I was wondering if anyone could help me identify these little Mosquitos that are eating my pepper leaves. There are ALOT of black Mosquitos and so far I've found one bigger insect that appears to be stuck on the leaves.
I am posting a few pictures so you can see... The next question is how can I get rid of them?!?
This is my first time doing a garden and any help will be appreciated!!
Thank you!!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

The first photo is a fly. It looks like it has the fly fungus disease. Here's a relevant article:
Fungus-killed flies: Insects : University of Minnesota Extension

https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/ins ... led-flies/

Although they appear to be eating or sucking the leaves or needles, these flies are actually dead, killed by a fungal disease.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what the black insect is, but not a mosquito. Mosquitoes don't eat plant leaves, though they do suck nectar. I doubt what ever your insect is is your culprit either.

You may have a couple different things eating your pepper leaves. The roundish/ oval holes in the middle of the leaves are almost certainly slugs or snails. The chewed up leaf edges might be something else, probably something caterpillar-y.

You will never see slugs in daylight. If you come out late at night with a flashlight and check closely, you will find them. Slugs are the only things that ever bother my pepper plants.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”