GilkersA7

Orchids

How do you take care of orchids in the house.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

GilkersA7,

Sorry, I have no experience with orchids and a quick search of the site did not turn up much either. I suspect that this is a pretty broad subject. I'm sure if you use Google you can find something. Does anyone else have anything?

Norm

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'm about to try this pretty soon. Orchids do not need soil, but prefer their roots to get moisture from the air. You'll see Spanish Moss or other forms of moss around the roots, in an open basket. It's pretty important that this is how their roots are kept. Don't buy one if it's in soil, somebody doesn't know what they are doing.

This need to get moisture from the air makes them ideal for the kitchen or bathroom. They prefer to hang, rather than sit. You can mist the roots with a spray bottle once or twice a day.

Light needs vary, but usually near a window is great. I don't think many of them need direct sunlight.

Temperature also varies - I think they like it fairly warm (so hanging from the ceiling, again, means they are a little warmer).

Hope all that helps! I'm still deciding on variety and placement for mine. :)

otnorot

Gilkers it all depends on what type of orchid you have.I would think you have a phalaenopsis which is the most common orchid being sold. The most important thing is light and lots of it (14 to 16 hours a day of artificial light.most orchid like temperatures to be in the 70tys in the day and 60tys in the night. don't over water. I have 39 orchids and they get watered every 3 to 4 weeks they get put in a tub with water up to the rim of the pot and they soak for an hour then they get put in another tub on a upside down flower pot to drain,
Bill

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”