C00KiE46

something wrong with my orchid leaves?

I got this as a gift and I do not want to kill it. I just killed another one. Is something wrong with the leaves their kind of curled at the end? I just watered it with liquid fertilizer. On the instructions it says to water when soil is almost completely dry.
Attachments
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG

imafan26
Mod

That is a phalaenopsis orchid. They make good houseplants but they do like good light. Put them under a flourescent or 18-24 inches from a window with a sheer curtain. It requires 70% shade so does not like full sun, The leaves on your plant look too dark. The curling is not a problem. Mine curls under when they are long too. I would just elevate the plant. Take the sphagnum moss off the top of the roots, It was put there for decorative purposes but is detrimental to the roots in the long run. Phals photosynthesize through their roots so the roots like to be exposed to the light. Phals have two kinds of roots. the ones that are outside of the media and usually curling in the air are air roots. They do photosynthesis and collect water. The roots in the soil are anchoring roots. The anchoring roots are the ones you have to worry about, too much water and they will rot. The media should be free draining but be allowed to be almost dry between watering. Do not leave it in the cashpot when you water. Take the plant to the sink; hose the dust off the leaves with water and fertilize the plant well with 1/4 strength miracle grow solution. 1/4 tsp in a gallon of water. Every 4th watering, just use water to flush salts out of the pot. Tip the plant to make sure no water is left in the crown and gently wipe excess water off the leaves. Let it dry before putting it back in the cachepot. Do not expose wet leaves to sun or it can sunburn the leaves. Repot if the media looks like it is breaking down.

C00KiE46

Thanks for all the info. It's very helpful.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”