bond_bhai
Newly Registered

Potted plants going dry

Hi Guys,
Need help for my potted plants. They are ornamental one of them is a Croton and the other is a Crape Jasmine. They were ok until now where I see them drying off :( The crepe Jasmine leaves were green earlier (about a week back), now they look really dull. I tested the pH, its around 6. Added a bit of compost as well. Not sure what I wrong. Any help is really appreciated!

Info: pH: between 6-7
Light: Full sun (Terrace)
Soil Water Content: Moist (Little more than moist).
Drainage holes: 1 in the side, one at bottom

Attaching the pics below -

Plant 1: Crotons:

Full Plant
Full Plant
Full Plant
Dried Leaves - 1:
Dried Leaves - 1
Dried Leaves - 1
Dried Leaves - 2:
Dried Leaves - 2
Dried Leaves - 2
Plant 2: Crepe Jasmine

Plant - Top
Plant - Top
Plant - Top
Plant - Top2
Plant - Top 2
Plant - Top 2
Plant - Dried Leaves - 1
Dried Leaves - 1
Dried Leaves - 1
Plant - Dried Leaves - 2
Dried Leaves - 2
Dried Leaves - 2

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

How long have you had them? How long since they were repotted? Has the angle of the sun shining on them changed recently? Has the ambient temperature or humidity around them changed recently?

bond_bhai
Newly Registered

Hi ButterflyLady29,
Thanks for taking time to reply! I have had them for about a month now. I had repotted them when I got them from the nursery. The plants were in full sun in the nursery and it is on the terrace of my house, so full sun here as well. It has started raining recently, but I have adjusted the watering schedule to compensate it.

Thanks
BB

applestar
Mod

Both of the plants are in rather small pots. When you repotted, were they in smaller pots? Were they root bound?

Croton appears to be a cutting. We're the roots filling the previous container?

How much bigger containers are they in because these pots still look a bit too small.

imafan26
Mod

The pots look small and it it looks like dirt in the pots. It will make it heavy. Dirt contracts when it dries and water goes around it and out the drain hole leaving the plant starving. Repot in a larger pot with potting mix designed for containers. If the root ball is a hard dry mass, tie an old t shirt around it and soak it in a bucket of water until the bubbles stop before replanting. Crotans and jasmine can handle a pH of 6. You need to fertilize too.

A. Sears

Here in MS it gets so hot most plants simply won't do well in full sun with temps in the mid 90s.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”