mint
Newly Registered

Problem with datura metel (in container)

Hi, everyone!

I've ordered some datura metel fastuosa seeds and planted five of them in one container. First try: four of them sprouted under indoor light at warm place, then, two died for some reason. After that I've placed container on the inside shelf near the open window (temperatures were cold at the time) and the other two died also (I don't know if I was watering them too much or if it was too cold). However, about month and a half ago, I've planted four of them in container. Two of them sprouted and are now about 15cm (approx. 6in) tall. They are growing inside under led light (I think it's still too cold outside). The problem is that they've got some kind of disease and I don't want them to die, but I don't know what I can do about that (I'm just an amateur). I'll upload some pictures for you to see what I'm talking about. Any help would be much appreciated. And btw, I'm also growing some woodland sage near datura and they were the first to get some disease (which is pretty much similar to the one on datura).

Thank you very much!
Attachments
IMG_20160513_143350.jpg
IMG_20160513_143331.jpg

catgrass
Green Thumb

Look under the leaves to make sure you don't have a bug problem. Looks like it might possibly be white flies-they love Datura. Or spider mites-they like this plant, too. Where are you? How cold is it getting? Mine survive outside down to about 45 degrees.

mint
Newly Registered

@catgrass

Thanks for your answer!

I've looked under the leaves and there indeed are some small insects and after some research I've found that they might be "thrips". So, how could I get rid of those? Should I cut off any damaged leaves?

No, temperatures were not so low. Minimum I think was around 10°C.

Best regards ;)

catgrass
Green Thumb

IF the plant is small enough. Wash the leaves with soapy water first. I would use a broad insecticide-yeah I know, there will be screamers about "organic"-if you have no flowers and you are definitely not going to eat this plant, use insecticide-it works better. Check every few days to make sure they don't come back. You may need to treat the soil, too. For this, I would use soapy water.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”