Subhuti
Newly Registered

Difficulty growing poppies.

Hello.

Forr several seasons I have tried to grow poppies. It seems to go super well for some weeks, but the plants develop almost no stems, and the first leaf-set is almost resting on the soil. When the plant gets over about 10 cms long, it begins to wither, probably because the stem is spindly and cannot support the requirements of the leaves, I think.

What am I doing wrong?

I have tried for 3 years, and each time the same thing happens. I have tried to sow about 100 plants, and none have succeeded in flowering or even getting a stem. Only once, about 10 years ago, did a plant grow to full size, with a thick stem to support itself. And that was a time I had sown some seeds and forgotten about it.

I sow in containers.

I have pictures, but I don't know how to include them here.

Does anybody know what I could be doing wrong? I have tried reading about growing poppies, but I don't see anything relating to my problem. They make it seem like it should be easy once the seeds have sprouted.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Subhuti.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

When you are sprouting your seeds in containers, are they inside or outside? It sounds like you're describing "leggy" seedlings. The leggy seedlings fall over?

If your seedlings are outside, what kind of light are they getting part sun? Full sun, full shade?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”