bewilderedoracle
Newly Registered

Help!! Unknown granules in my new planter

When I went out to check on my planter this morning, I noticed this weird granular substance and I have NO idea what it is. It wasn't there when I checked on it yesterday. This planter is only about two weeks old, give or take a few days. I used a brand new bag of soil recommended by the guys at the store. Could it have been somehow contaminated? If so, why'd it take so long to show up??

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Are they hard or squishy?

applestar
Mod

Looks like slime mold to me. At least this one was a sedate brown and not bubble gum pink or neon yellow. ...well so maybe NOT slime mold but some kind of fungus in any case.

Nothing to worry about.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes. Your container is growing fungus because your potting mix looks very woody, almost more like mulch than soil. Lots of fungi love to grow on wood.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

It's a type of mushroom. Soon, you'll have the small granules growing into large mushrooms that can reach over 4 inches tall.

Since you have a lot of 'em, I'd recommend swapping the soil for some other type of soil. In my experience, these mushrooms like top soil as it is full of wood-like stuff.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”