Java

Selfwatering pots - Fertilizer Q

Hi all,
This is my first post in this forums. Looks like a interesting group of folks. Decided I need to be part of it.

I have a couple years old self-watering pot from Ikea. I love it and also surprised that my plant has survived after my intermittent bout of neglects.
I recently bought Miracle-gro shake n'feed from Costco.
First observation, that is a 8lb jug. You are suppose to measure in teaspoons!! It looks like I will take a long time to finish it.
Second observation, it is supposed to be mixed in with soil/potting mix before planting?? is it true?

Since it is a self-watering pot, can I mix it in water and pour it down the chute?

The water soluble fertilizer seems to be very expensive.

Any help will be appreciated.

java.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welckme to the forum!

That fertilizer is similar to Osmocote, which I have read is not one of the types of fertilizer recommended in Earthboxes - a brand of self watering container. And definitely don't pour it down the chimney. Since that fertilizer is slow releasing, you really don't know how it will release sitting in the water - too fast or too slow?

Something that I add to the water reservoir is small amounts of hydroponics nutrients. And for tomatoes a tsp of Ca(NO3)2 once a week.

Java

pepperhead212 wrote:Welckme to the forum!

Something that I add to the water reservoir is small amounts of hydroponics nutrients. And for tomatoes a tsp of Ca(NO3)2 once a week.
Thanks for replying.

I am in NJ too. Edison Area.

Where do you buy these hydroponics nutrients? or get calcium nitrate?

do you prefer hydroponics nutrients to water soluble miracle-gro stuff?

imafan26
Mod

Water soluble miracle grow will work, but you should probably dilute it to 1/4 strength and it will stain the pot because of the dye.

Hydroponic supplies can be purchased on line or at a hydroponic store near you.
https://www.growstorefinder.com/grow-stores-in-NJ.php

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”