Dave Mendez
Newly Registered

Avocado plant blacking at ends

Hello

I have a avocado plant that is potted and it's about 3 ft tall. I got it last year in March from a nursery and it was growing pretty good with no issues. But this year the leaves feel and all the edges of the branches and also the main stem is turning brown and then black and keeps on going down the branch and stem. I have cut down the brown and black areas but it keeps on doing it. I read that it could be to much sun that might be causing it I even did what the usda recommendations said to put a white cardboard at the edge of the trunk but it seems to continue. I would love to save my avocado plant. Is there anything else I can do to have it? Please help.

Thank you. I live in Michigan and have the plant potted and also in the basement.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi! Sorry you never got a response to this. I don't have an answer and am mainly bumping it so more people will see.

It would help if you post a couple pictures of your tree and tell us more about the conditions your tree has been in. You said in the basement. Basements don't usually have much light. Does it get any natural sunlight? You said something about too much sun. How could it be getting too much sun in a basement? Do you have lighting for it? Artificial light for plants needs to be just a couple inches away. How cold has it been in your basement? What kind of soil is it in and how (how much, how often) do you water it.

You have had it for a year. Have you repotted during that time? Fertilized?

Best Wishes! Hopefully we can find some help for you and your tree.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Hey Dave! Often brown leave tips on avocado trees are due to all the stuff in tap water (chlorine, iron, salts, etc.)

Avocados are very delicate when it comes to rough water. Try watering your avocado tree with bottled water or tap water that has been left standing open for over 24 hours. By this time, all the stuff will evaporate and will be easy to use.
20160522_115559-480x853.jpg
The image above is what my avocado plant used to look like.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”