cass2828

How to deal with entire garden infested with Mealy Bugs?

Hi, I have a big problem!!!! My garden is infested with mealy bugs!!!! all my seedlings, my ornamental plants, my hibiscus, my sunflower all........please I need some help, How do I get rid of these stupid bugs...... :cry:

Mr green
Green Thumb

Keep the plants from being to moist as they prefer new soft watery growth, also don't feed the plants any nitrogen fertilizer as this is another thing they like (high nitrogen).

Spray them of with soapwater solution. Some say rub with quivertip with alcohol, maybe if its not so much to deal with.
Natural predators is Ladybugs and Mealybug Destroyer and probably quite a few more.
Ants are many times usefull but not in this case they will protect the Mealybugs. So keeping Ants at bay can also be important if present.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mr. Green about covered it. Here's what Planet Natural says:

Mealybug Control
  • Prune out light infestations or dab insects with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol.
    Do not over water or over-fertilize — mealybugs are attracted to plants with high nitrogen levels and soft growth.
    Commercially available beneficial insects, such as ladybugs, lacewing and the Mealybug Destroyer (Cryptolaemus montrouzieri), are important natural predators of this pest.
    Use the Bug Blaster to hose off plants with a strong stream of water and reduce pest numbers. Washing foliage regularly with a leaf shine — made from neem oil — will help discourage future infestations.
    Insecticidal soap contains potassium salts of fatty acids, which penetrates and damages the outer shells of soft-bodied insect pests, causing dehydration and death within hours.
    If pest levels become intolerable, spot treat with a short-lived, natural pesticide that does NOT persist in the environment.
    Washing foliage regularly with a leaf shine will help discourage future infestations.
https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-probl ... g-control/

Infestation like that suggests things are out of balance in your garden. I would guess over watering and over-fertilizing, along with perhaps a lack of the nectar flowers that will attract things like ladybugs and lacewings. Do NOT use poisons, even short lived ones, if you want to have beneficial insects in your garden.

cass2828

I have only chrysanthemum, hibiscus,Jasmine... I am growing cilantro from seed....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

None of those flowers help at all for attracting beneficial insects. Usually what you want are some native wildflowers and I have no idea what is native in India, either in flowers or in insects. Here we say you are looking for flowers that have their nectar in tiny florets, like all the carrot family things (dill, parsley, fennel, etc). Your cilantro (coriander) plant, once it flowers will be good for attracting insects you want. Other good attracting plants in my part of the world include yarrow, tansy, sunflowers, alyssum, milkweed, buckwheat, marigold, ajuga, mint family plants, sedum, cosmos, thyme. You can look around and see what of those might be common for you.

Here's a couple Indian websites about beneficial insects:
https://www.edgeindiaagrotech.com/benefi ... -parasites
https://biobee.in/category/beneficial-insects/

imafan26
Mod

The only other thing I would add if if you have these plants in pots or planted close together, give them more room. Grow alyssum,marigolds, aster, salvia, basil (let it bloom). The longer the flowers last the better. I like fennel but it needs to be planted alone at least 10 ft away from everything else. The flowers last for months and fennel like marigolds will act as a trap plant and invite the pests to attack it. Fennel isn't bothered by aphids, and the aphids feed the hungry lady bug larvae while the adults feed on the fennel pollen and nectar along with other beneficial insects.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Insecticidal soap doesn't work very well on mealybugs. I tried, it failed. I ended up hand picking and killing the rotten bugs.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”