alex1234
Newly Registered

What are the best plants to hang indoors?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what plants would do well hung indoors? I am particularly interested in hanging some in my little kitchen (where they would get a good bit of humidity), but any info/advice would be awesome. :)

Thanks!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

What about light? Light is more important than humidity.

dowens
Newly Registered

Maybe some fern? They don't look particularly nice but they are easy to grow and they produce a lot of oxygen.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Fuchsia!!! They are beautiful container plants and they only like indirect light. I keep killing them trying to grow them outdoors. The best success I ever had with them was growing one in a container in my bathroom, with only the light from the frosted bathroom window. It loved the indirect light and the humidity in the bathroom.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

another one and done:

Last visited: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:48 pm

so made his post and never even came back to see if he got any responses. I never understand that.

Oh well, maybe someone else some time will like my suggestion of fuchsia...

catgrass
Green Thumb

Indoor-Pothos (devils ivy). Spider plant-good for cleaning the air.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I've got fuchsia's from last year that I'm trying to keep for this year. They've been in the basement under lights which isn't the ideal situation for them but the orchids got the space in the bathroom. The orchids also got the space over the kitchen sink.

A. Sears

Pothos

laurie basler

Asparagus Ferns, swedish ivy. Spider plants.piggy back plant. Lipstick.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Alex instead of hanging a plant, couldn't you just start out with a lecture and make them stand in a sunny windowsill for fifteen minutes?

As other (more sober) posters have noted, most house plants need sun more than humidity. Now some bonsai might profit from a really steamy kitchen. I've never tried that. My kitchen window is too shaded.

RBG have you ever pruned one a them fuchsia for bonsai?

imafan26
Mod

Plants are living things they need air, light, water, nutrients, a comfortable temperature and all in the right amounts.

Most plants will need good light. House plants usually require indirect light not full sun or magnified sun up against a window.
If you don't want the plant to be growing to one side they will need to be turned or the light must be even on all sides

Air is important. Plants need good air ciculation. Air conditioning will dry them out faster, but no air makes them weak.

Temperature. Not too hot or too cold

Water and nutrients. Most houseplants should be given a diluted fertilizer. Inside is not ideal for most plants and they will grow slower than outside. It is important to water as needed. Don't get lazy. Take the pot to the sink or tub and water it well to flush out salts and make sure it drains for about 30 minutes before you put it back. Do not water one cup at a time. It is not enough to flush out salts. Do not allow water to stand in the cachepot or saucer, it will eventually kill the plants.

Plants that tolerate being indoors = pathos, syngonium, some ferns, wandering jew.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE: RBG have you ever pruned one a them fuchsia for bonsai?

No, the thought never occurred to me! Since you mentioned it, I went looking for fuchsia bonsai images. I didn't find any that looked very successful to me. The downward hanging blossoms tend to make them look like weird Christmas trees:

'course the way whoever shaped this one adds to the effect.

but even the best of them look a bit odd to me:

anyway, I haven't had real good luck keeping fuchsia alive in a regular pot....

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I dunno. the arcitecture without bloom is OK. I bet that'd make a more than a few people happy.

imafan26
Mod

I think the fuschia would look ok when it is not in bloom. The flowers throw the proportions off because of the size. I love fuschias but I would have a hard time getting one to be a bonsai because for me it is not a long lived plant. I do like them in hanging baskets though.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Call me crazy but I love those!

Orchids will do well in hanging baskets. And hoya are good indoor plants, just don't let them hang near a lace curtain. They wove themselves through Mom's curtains.

imafan26
Mod

Some orchids are good indoor plants because they need low light conditions like Phalaenopsis and Paphiopedelums. They like 70% shade. However, they still need good quality light to bloom and require humidity. They also should never have wet feet.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Coir fiber wire baskets work real well for phalaenopsis. I keep mine close to the florescent light in the bathroom. I've kept them that way for a couple years. Admittedly I haven't been able to get them to flower again. Several sent up flower stalks but the stalks died before the flowers opened. It was neglect on my part. I was busy working and didn't give them the care or fertilizer they needed. It's a situation I intend to remedy this year.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”