wesida

moisture meter

Hello,
got another newbie question :D . So I have a meter that has (moisture detector, PH, and also light intensity)

Now for light intensity it goes all the way from 0 to 2000, in what units are these, and is there a site where it tells you optimal range?
and as for moisture the scale is from 1-10, what moisture level should I look for before adding water. I know that for meyers lemon we should wait untill its almost dry but not dry, so iam guessing maybe moisture level of 2?.

Thanks

Grey
Greener Thumb

I've never really gotten scientific about growing my plants, so I haven't the foggiest idea! I just water when they are dry (depending on the plant) and if they are nice and happy looking, I know they're ok. lol.

wesida

lol its ok, my jasmine is growing real nice and flowering alot. I've moved both of the plants to a 4 inch pot. the lemon tree still looks the same though no sign of growth in the shoot. iam guessing the roots are growing in this phase

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well, since lemons and limes (and other citrus) grow in places where the 'soil" is mostly sand, it makes sense they don't want a lot of water. Good drainage may be the key there.

wesida

yeah I was thinking about that. I water it about once very three days, and have a good drainage soil, we'll wait and see I guess :D. Thanks Grey

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

wesida,

Grey makes a good point concerning drainage. Over-watering is one of the most common problems with potted trees. There are two sticky threads in the bonsai forum that will be of interest to you.

The one on [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]General Growing[/url] gives information on watering.

The one on [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]Bonsai soils[/url] points out the importance of excellent drainage. I'm betting your tree is potted in a heavily organic medium.

Norm

wesida

Gnome, Appreciate the articles

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”