dvlucke

white LED grow lights??

Hey all, just wondering if LED grow lights that give off a white light exist. I know it's the blue and red part of the spectrum that most benefits the plants, but I'm wanting to use LEDs (because of energy savings) to light the plants in my bedroom, but I don't like the aesthetic of the blue/red lights.

Right now I have one 54 watt t5 bulb lighting one shelf, but I want to add lights around the entire perimeter of the room and even the t5s would get expensive to run, as I'm looking to light as much as 33 linear feet. I know upfront costs will be high, but it's the utility bill that is my main concern.

But as far as I know, any LED that gives off a white light is not going to cut it for good plant growth. Any thoughts? I'm not set on LEDS, I'm just trying to come up with something not completely ugly, and reasonably efficient to light the plants that will go on the wrap around shelves built into my bedroom.

meandtk

I bought two 48 inch LED shop lights from the local big box store. They are doing well for me so far.

dvlucke

Thanks. I've seen those lights at the hardware store and was unsure if they would meet a plants needs. What kind of plants are you growing under them? Right now I've just got succulents and some small tropical houseplants, but was thinking about doing some herbs and maybe even try some strawberries.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”