TomiG
Newly Registered

Drooping peace lilies

Hello, I have two peace lilys that I had gotten from a funeral. I have had them since October, one of which I have always had drooping issues the second not until a few days ago.

Ok so the first guy I repotted soon after getting because the roots were bursting from the bottom, I moved it to a clay pot, about(maybe a bit more) of a step up from what it was. As I said he had been drooping from the beginning. So I just made sure he was nice and watered.

The second one I repotted a few days ago because oh boy it was time the roots were molded to the pot. When I repotted I loosed the roots up and sprayed what dirt I could out because I had a gnat problem (also my indoor plants were moved outside because of the gnats) the roots looked completely fine they were all very healthy looking. At the time I even considered moving them to just water but the little bit I read told me it probably wouldn't be wise. After searching around here I've learned I can do it but I'll need to go and find the proper materials.

Anyhoo since repotting number two both of them have been looking so sad and lifeless. I assume part of the problem is moving them outside, they are in a nicely shaded area that stays shady (but bright) all day. I move them to the garage at night since its a bit chilly. The are still the same color as before just drooping. I have also changed the soil in the first lily, loosening the roots and spraying them out to give it fresh dirt, same pot, also these roots were the same looking healthy as ever.

Over all I decided to try out a new soil. Before I used MG moisture control which probably didn't help with the gnats. The new soil is slightly barky, you can see how it has wood finely ground almost like sawdust in it.

I read somewhere about someone using gravel instead of soil. Is this something I should consider?

imafan26
Mod

Since the peace lilies were pot bound, were the roots healthy?
I don't like moisture control for anything. Did you score the roots?
It can go in a larger pot, dead roots should be removed. It is not unusual for them to droop afterwards. I usually would keep them out of the sun and wind for a week before moving them out to their usual spot.

If the plant wasn't looking too hot in its spot. I would look for a better one.

I tend to overwater and spathiphyllum are aeroids so they are air plants and like a lot of air in the roots. I treat them like anthuriums and they are planted in a pot with good drainage. They do like leafmold and I add it when I have some. I use coarse bark or large black cinder. I was told not to use red cinder because of the acidity. Mine are outside under 70% shade cloth. I don't like them to get too big, or they die out in the center so I usually divide them every couple of years.

TomiG
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:Since the peace lilies were pot bound, were the roots healthy?
I don't like moisture control for anything. Did you score the roots?
It can go in a larger pot, dead roots should be removed. It is not unusual for them to droop afterwards. I usually would keep them out of the sun and wind for a week before moving them out to their usual spot.

If the plant wasn't looking too hot in its spot. I would look for a better one.

I tend to overwater and spathiphyllum are aeroids so they are air plants and like a lot of air in the roots. I treat them like anthuriums and they are planted in a pot with good drainage. They do like leafmold and I add it when I have some. I use coarse bark or large black cinder. I was told not to use red cinder because of the acidity. Mine are outside under 70% shade cloth. I don't like them to get too big, or they die out in the center so I usually divide them every couple of years.

The roots looked fine when I fist took them out. I am a bit curious if they still look the same or not since they have dropped even more since repotting. as far as moving them I can try putting them in the fron of the house since its shady all day only catching the morning sun really.
As far as what it is potted in should I try potting them in a more barky material? I do like the idea of moving them to water to eliminate soil all together. I've done this with a few of my ivy cuttings for a new look in vases instead of pots.
Thanks for responding so quickly (:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”