KCarver
Newly Registered

Various Questions: Wormwood, Honey Locust, Water Hemlock

Procedure for putting wormwood outside in Winter.

I got a wormwood plant I grew from seed back in the spring, its has grown some tall narrow healthy foliage (13" tall) and the wider low foliage died, I'm considering putting it on my balcony throughout the winter, east coast Canada with similar weather from where this plant is native and was wondering: do I just trim off all the dead stuff and plop the pot on the balcony that easily?

Honey Locust: Dead or Alive?

I have two unmodified thorny honey locusts that I grew indoor from seed, they grew fast and healthy to 4 and 5 inches high and just stopped, sun, water, soil status remained the same and the leaves all dried up and fell off, no discoloration and the stalks three months later are green, flexible and appear healthy, should I expect these to eventually continue to grow or is my best chance in starting over?

Water Hemlock: not growing

I have a potted water hemlock grown from seed and seeing how much maintenance watching it in the fridge for months I really do not want to lose this. It sprouted, grew to an inch and a half, has one half inch leaf that is dark green with a hint of purple and it just stopped growing for the last two months, conditions are maintained in accordance to it's wet habitat so I replanted it in its pot as the soil became very hard two days ago and now it is wilting, the stalk is reddish purple and unable to support the leaf which is just starting to dry out. Is this a lost cause or is there anything that can salvage this incredibly stubborn plant.

I've done what I can researching these online with no luck so I've come here hoping for advice.

applestar
Mod

I have wormwood and honey locust outside in my garden. They are both dormant right now.

Wormwood leaves will not completely freeze and dry up if winter lowest temp stays above 20°F (bottom few inches To 1 ft remain green) but the rest will. What exactly are the condition you have these young plants? You may need to protect from really severe temperatures since they are in containers (you don't want the roots to die) but they do need a period of dormancy to conserve energy.

KCarver
Newly Registered

The wormwood is in I'd guess around a 5L pot, the honey locusts are in a small and huge pot, this is my second attempt with the honey locusts, the first time planting them in a seed starting kit I found they have a long root that grows straight down, when the root hit the bottom in the seed starting kit they died, this time around in the big pot the tree is 5" tall and the root is about 12" long where it is just starting to branch off and the 4" tall tree is only in 5" of soil. They just look like green toothpicks right now, I hear they plants do die easily in nature so should I expect these plants to resume growing?

The water hemlock is all but limp, planted more seeds and put the pots on balcony for cold stratification, any ideas to avoid what happened for when they sprout in Spring?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”