tdump
Cool Member

Small concrete planter questions

If you have saw the photo in my raised bed thread you will see 2 concrete planters in front of my large raised bed. They are about 2 feet long, about 8 inches wide at the top and about 8 inches tall. They are old and came from my grandmothers house. I tried some just cheap flower seed in them last year. First time I had ever tried to use them. Nothing grew and it was a flop. But what I am wondering is if there is a problem regarding drainage. There is 1 drain hole in the bottom. I know the cheap seed from the dollar store probably was not a good choice but it was a experiment to see if I could use them for flowers to bring in the bees..
Is there anything different I need to do with these containers or? I do think I will get some potting soil from a bag this time instead of dirt and compost like I tried last year.
Attachments
DSC00171.JPG
DSC00170.JPG

applestar
Mod

Since the concrete itself should breathe, my feeling is that the single drainage hole is probably sufficient as long as it is on a level surface. But if it was sitting directly in a clay based soil surface as it kind of looks like, then the drain hole might have been blocked from properly draining?

I think it will work better if set on gravel or mulched surface, or even turf (though sometimes earthworms can manage to block the drainage hole), and if not on grooved surface like brick, but a solid pavement, it may need to be raised a bit -- even a couple of sticks underneath to support and lift the drainage hole clear.

Getting potting mix/soil or mixing in larger aggregate to help drainage is a good idea, and I recommend you monitor closely for slugs because they will find a way to hide underneath and then climb up to enjoy the nightly buffet.

With relatively shallow and narrow soil volume, plus porous container, this will require some thought into what to plant in it. Plants that are small, shallow rooted, and drought tolerant: thyme, lemon and orange gem marigolds, small leaved basil like lime basil, first year small sized hot peppers typically have shallow/smaller root system (mature height of 12-18 inches)....

tdump
Cool Member

Thanks, hot peppers like the little ornamentals? I grow those and love them to eat and for decoration.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Love those planters! I have a couple on my front porch railing that I have ignored for several years. Note to self. Clean and plant! North side, had ivy, need to redo all including dirt that a couple of kitties have found.

Anyway, I prefer to have all pots elevated, be it on deck or ground. As yours are out in yard can use a couple of bricks to get them up. Being up just a bit helps with drainage, otherwise no place for that rainfall to go. Yuck! If you want worms in there, put a few in from your compost or garden. As they aren't that big, why not go for the easy, Miracle Grow potting mix. Then plant away!

Enjoy and feel grandmas smiles.

imafan26
Mod

Concrete planters do not have particularly large holes, but as Apple said that usually is not the problem as concrete breathes. It is best not to put them in a spot where they will get afternoon sun though as they can get pretty hot. If the pot, any kind of pot is hot to touch, the roots are probably cooking too.
Cheap seeds don't matter as long as they were fresh seeds and stored properly.
Putting the pot on feet does help. You can get pot feet (they actually call them that or you can put a couple of bricks under the ends of the pot to lift it up a bit.
A well drained soil is good. You wat to be able to water the pot, wet the media well without the water pooling or be slow to drain. On the otherhand concrete and terra cotta pots breathe it is an asset and a liability. They dry out fast. A planter that size would not support a lot of plants. maybe 2- one foot tall plants or some petunias, nasturtiums or marigolds about 4-6 inches apart. Seed beds need to be kept moist but not soggy until they sprout and they like even moisture.

tdump
Cool Member

thanks for the advice,I took care of them already this morning. On blocks and new potting soil installed. ready for warmer times for planting. I am trying to get the heavy work done so my sinus surgery late feb or first part of march does not mess me up getting things started and planted.

applestar
Mod

OK. Sounds like you are motivated! If the planter is going to be in an open area to the elements, you may want to keep it covered with a heavy piece of plastic -- I'm thinking re-purpose cut open potting soil and mulch bags. Otherwise, all the nutrients in the potting soil will be leached out by the time you are ready to plant. I would probably scatter some organic slug bait underneath.

Hope your surgery and recovery goes smoothly and you will be feeling much better. :D

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I've seen those planted with hen and chicks which I think is adorable.

tdump
Cool Member

I have a neighbor that has a pile of the little hen and bitty plants as we call them. Might get a few. Would not take many starter plants to cover a acre as fast as they grow! :lol:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”