Lotus1023
Newly Registered

Water running out of pot very quickly

I am growing dahlias and marigolds in pots outside and over the past 3-4 weeks the leaves have been drying out despite repeated watering. I have noticed that the water runs out of the pot almost as quickly as I water it. I've tried watering gradually like a drip system and it still all seems to run out. I've also tried using mulch as was suggested to me to hold on to the water but that doesn't seem to have helped either. Would anyone have any suggestions about what I could do to help the soil hold on to the water better? I've attached some images of my plants in case it's more than just drying out, but I think that's all it is. Thanks so much!!
Attachments
IMG_3685.JPG
IMG_3685.JPG (49.09 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
IMG_3684.JPG
IMG_3684.JPG (40.89 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

applestar
Mod

Often with peat-based potting mix, when it dries out, the entire mass shrinks and pulls away from the sides of the container. Then when watered, the hydrophobic surface of the peat repels the water so that the water just flows over the top of the mix, then down that gap along the sides of the container and straight out of the drain holes.

Try dunking the entire pot in a larger tub or bucket of water, leave it for about 15-20 minutes until it's no longer floating, add sufficient water to submerge and no more bubbles come out of the soil mix. Then lift out on a raised surface so that it can drip and drain completely. THIS is when the pot is thoroughly watered.

Heft and feel the weight of it, and remember it because this is your benchmark. When the pot feels lighter than this when hefted, it needs to be watered, but not before.

Lotus1023
Newly Registered

Thanks for your response. It's actually in a large clay pot though so I wouldn't be able to put it in a tub.

applestar
Mod

Hmmm... In that case, either the soil mix is dried out as explained before, or it's actually saturated cannot hold any more water, and the plants are drying up due to root rot.

I'm not sure about dahlias since I don't grow them, but marigolds are very drought tolerant and are more likely to suffer from overwatering.

How often are you watering, and are you using any other method to check the soil moisture? In a large container, you need to dig down about one inch and feel the moisture in the soil. Don't water if it still feels damp and the mix sticks to your finger. You can also use the chopstick method described and recommended in the Bonsai forum if you don't want to get your finger dirty.

When the soil IS dry and you water, be sure to water not only by covering the top of the soil mix with water to the rim of the container, but also thoroughly water the outsides of the clay pot if it is not glazed/sealed. I do this with my unfinished, wooden patio containers.

If the container is over planted and the soilmix is filled with roots, the soil *can* dry out quickly and it will need to be watered twice a day, but this pushes the system to the limit -- nutrients wash out quickly so you would need to feed more often, which can actually push the plants into growing too fast, and missing even one watering could cause the plants to wilt, and the stress will invite pests to attack.

You really need to think about dividing and replanting or uppotting into larger containers if you have to water more than once a day to keep the plants alive. If uppotting is not an option, be sure to put less number of plants in the container or use a larger container next time. Gardening is all about learning from your experience. :wink:

applestar
Mod

The photos are not in focus and it's hard to see, but I'm also wondering if I'm seeing tiny white pin dots on the surface of the leaves, which could mean mites or thrips maybe? (I'm never good at ID'ing thrip damage because I don't have much experience with them).

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Couldn't see from the photo, do you have a drip pan under the pot? It can be one of those clear plastic one or a clay one to match the pot. That will hold water at the bottom so the soil medium will draw water back into the pot.

imafan26
Mod

It looks like there are too many plants in that pot and the root mass is probably quite large and solid. Dahlias are tubers but can be grown from seed. They are perennial except for me, I treat them as an annual. They grow they flower and then they die back and go dormant. Most marigolds are annuals that bloom for about 3 months or so. Crowded like that in humid conditions they get mildew.
If you carefully poke holes in the root ball you can aerate the roots and more water can get to them. Water slowly use a water bottle. (2 liter soda bottle with a small hole drilled in the cap. They do sell spikes to attach to the bottle specifically for watering. It works better if you cut off the bottom of the bottle and use it like a funnel. You need an air port for the water to come out.

If you plant that pot again. Try fewer plants, they will show better too.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”