Cinquefoil

Tall low light indoor plants similar to parlor palms?

Are there many tall indoor plants that can survive in low light conditions, similar to parlor palms? I have a parlor palm in my living room and I'd like to add another, but I'm wondering if a different species of plant might add more interest.

Thanks for any advice!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are. Many of them are varieties of dracaena, variously known as corn plant, dragon tree, etc

Peace lily is another very pretty houseplant that can handle very low light situations, but does not usually get very tall, mostly around two feet, though with good care over time, they can eventually get bigger.

Dieffenbachia is a popular easy to care for houseplant that can probably handle similar light conditions as the parlor palm. It comes in many different color/ variegation combinations and can get 4-5' tall.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I don't know about corn plant-mine likes bright light-not full sun, though, and has bloomed often. Snake plant is a good one and will get tall, though not as tall as a palm.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mine did fine with relatively low light, but only bloomed once out of many years I had it. But since the blossom smells HORRIBLE [once I figured out what was making the terrible smell, I had to cut it off], I didn't care that it didn't bloom.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Yes, the bloom is overpowering. It starts out smelling ok-but 24/7 of it in the house was giving me headaches-My son has the plant now, since it was his in college-10 years ago, and it is now about 6 ft. tall. Funny, though, the snake plant blooms occasionally, too, and it also has that sickly sweet smell.

imafan26
Mod

Sanseveria and cast iron plants are also good plants for marginal conditions.
Pothos too if you don't mind a vine.
Diffenbachia is not a good plant around children or pets. Its' other name is dumb cane.
Aglonemia (Chinese Fortune plant) is a good plant that does well under flourescent lights and it helps clean the air.

A. Sears

Dieffenbachia has a weak trunk. Another palm would be much better.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”