Asica

Hypertufa pots

As I always say Pinterest made me a better teacher, but also a better gardner. This idea I saw on Pinterest and had to try it. So the idea is that you make your own pots that look like stone, but are light and cheap to make. So first you need three things: perlite, peat moss, and pure cement (no sand in it), plus water and some bucket. There are different recipes. The most I heard is to mix three parts of each, but this did not work for me, the pots were not strong enough. So I mix 2 containers of peat moss and perlite each, and 3 same size container of cement. Then you mix all together and add water slowly. There is no actual amount if water to be said, the mixture has to look like cottage cheese. I will take a picture of this mixture next time I am mixing one. It will be easier tnoo mold things this way.
Now you need containers from your recycling bin. I use only plastic and paper, but seen done with glass and metal, or even baskets, but on that later.
20151220_125616-1.jpg
You will take two containers one inch bigger then the other. Do not go less then inch bigger, the walls need to be thick enoght so they do not crumble. As you see in the picture I put some other container with rocks to keep the smaller container from moving. The inside of the big container and the outside of the small one are cover with cooking oil.
20151220_130330-1.jpg
The pots done like this way come out like this
20151220_125540-1.jpg
20151220_125547-1.jpg
I added some rocks to the top of this one while I was making it, push it in well so they do not fall out later.
20151220_125733-1.jpg
You can see that the sides are very smooth and do not really look like stone. I am also going to try add cement color next time and see how that comes out. One of the pots I painted with little bit of chalk board paint and wrote with chalk name of a herb I planted in. This was my holiday gift, I forgote to take a picture...
I drill hole on a buttom and it is very easy. I take out the pots out of the molds after three days and I clean them up so they do not have sharp edges like I did here
20151220_130454-1.jpg
If you want that stone look you have to line up your container with plastic bag first.
20151220_125649-1.jpg
This is the first one I made like this so I will post picture of finish product later this week. As you can see there are two paper boxes, the bigger one covered with plastic bag. You can also do that with glass and wood baskets.
Btw usually the molds drying look much nicer, but it started to rain as I finished mixing the cement. I had 10 minutes to do this so the cement is not wasted.
I see that people also put decorative rocks or broken china, or even plants on the side of the pots, but I have not try this yet.
The important part is to have wall and bottom inch thick, put oil or plastic bag on the container so it is easlier to take it out. Also do not forget to drill hole on a bottom. So that is it for now. I will add more pictures as I create more.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

These are really neat. I've seen something like this before. I want to make some when I have time. And I've been collected broken cups and things to use for mosaics. That will be a separate project, but it might work for planters too. My broken things are nice colors like red and black to use for the mosaic art. I need more time for fun stuff like this.

Good job, A+ is your grade, thank you for the nice photos and instruction.

applestar
Mod

THANK YOU @Asica! I am SOOO inspired! :-()

...I wonder if I could try practicing in the garage..... 8)

Looking forward to more pictures and tips, inspirations :()

Asica

Yes, you sure can do that inside, but cover the floor, this is messy project.
I forgot to mention to wear gloves and mask on face. It is dusty.

Asica

Here is the result of pots made with plastic bag covering the cement. The whole thing I put inside paper boxes.
20151221_165809-1.jpg
20151221_165815-1.jpg
20151221_164841-1-1.jpg
20151221_164810-1-1.jpg

Asica

I made some new creations today. Succulents are great with those pots.
20160102_180347-1.jpg
20160102_172142-1.jpg

applestar
Mod

They look fantastic!!! :clap:

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

You are quite the plant artist. Great work.

applestar
Mod

I spent ALL DAY researching various recipes, techniques, projects.... Gleaned tips and ideas from dedicated forums, blogs, must have watched hundreds of minutes of videos altogether....

I have a new system for making notes and keeping links so I can easily go read stuff and watch the videos again. A bit frustrating because I can't really do anything right now -- though I'm thinking of doing some very small scale projects and maybe practice with other media as well.

I'm also noodling a few ideas that I had, for which I can't find any equivalent references, not even that they won't work, so some of these things will have to be tried and experimented -- and you might have noticed I thrive on doing that. :()

I'm really motivated now to clean up the garage at least, which will help with this month's seed starting. Maybe re-organize the craft room.... 8)

Some crazy large scale project ideas have also popped up -- these will definitely have to wait until spring, but I'm psyched! :-()

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”