PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Orchids

So I decided to add an Orchid to my collection. I don't know the scientific name off hand but the common name is "coconut orchid". I have read some conflicting information. Some info says to keep really the plant moist and the plant can tolerate a lot of water while others sources say to be careful with over watering. Then there is conflict with light requirements. Some sources say it can handle direct sunlight while others say only bright indirect light. Aside from this, what are some general care tips? I was going to use sphagnum moss and maybe coconut coir but heard this was not a good potting mix. Additionally, I was going to plant in a hanging basket but then some sources said to place a dish under the pot with pebbles so the plant can get its humidity requirements. I am not so sure how fussy this plant is when it comes to humidity. Anyway, hoping someone can get me in the right direction. Thanks

imafan26
Mod

If this is the orchid that smells like coconut it is a maxilllaria tenuifolia. It is a species orchid and is fairly easy for me to grow. The grow up on top of each other and I have them in almost full sun. They like the same conditions as catleya 50% shade to almost full sun. They have a fibrous root system and they will pack a pot so use the smallest pot you can fit the roots into. I like to grow my orchids with little or no media. I will pack the roots in the smallest pot I can get them in. I use large pieces of fir bark or now I use styrofoam since it does not break down like bark. I have also been able to mount it on rafts, upside down terra cotta pots, or on pieces of lava rock. I prefer no media since I water them nearly every day and they would rot if they had media. Without media they dry fast enough. Depending on your media you will need to adjust your watering habits.

Maxillaria have psuedo bulbs that can store water so you do want to make sure not to over water, but they do have a fibrous roots system that dries quickly. Again it depends on how you are planting them.

The pebble tray should work for humidity. I don't have to worry about that the average humidity here is 80%.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”