fruitoo
Newly Registered

Container "Purple Ballerina" Datura is wilting and yellowing

Hey everyone, first post here.

I have a small, young "Purple Ballerina" Datura plant growing in a pot. I've only been caring for it for a few months (first got it as a tiny sapling). It's planted in Miracle Grow Moisture Control soil. When first planting it, I initially fertilized it with a small amount of blood meal and a few fish pellets, and about a month later, gave it one watering with Miracle Grow plant food, and a month later, another Miracle Grow dose. In between those I've watering regularly, either waiting until the top few millimeters of the soil is dry, or slightly more often that that. We've had unexpected sun and/or rain here in Michigan so it's had more or less regular moisture, but not perfect. It's been outside in partial sun.

Right now the plant looks very unhealthy. It's been growing new branches, leaves, and flowers and has tripled in size. However, the leaves have yellow patches, and the plant seems to wilt terribly during the day even when the soil is completely moist (in other words, the soil is not drying out yet the plant seem dehydrated). Nowadays it seems wilted all the time.

The problem seems to have gotten worse since I repotted it into a bigger container. It does have a single drain hole, but the soil doesn't seem to dry out as well. Maybe this is a problem as well?

One other treatment I gave it was a "1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide to 5 parts water" treatment after it got a minor infestation of fungus gnats from a neighboring plant, about 3 weeks ago. Could this have damaged the plant?

I have attached two pictures of the plant.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20151015_113830302.jpg
IMG_20151015_113821313.jpg

catgrass
Green Thumb

Mine start looking like that when their life span is slowing down. I think you have either an over or under watering problem. I don't like moisture control potting soil-it's too hard to control (does that make sense!) Anyway, How tall is it? It may need a bigger pot.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The peroxide should not cause wilting or yellowing.

Wilting and looking "dehydrated" in the presence of moist soil is a classic sign of root damage/ rot rot. There is plenty of moisture there, but the roots cannot take it up. I suspect your "moisture control" potting medium (which I also hate!) has been holding too much moisture.

You need to lift the plant out of the pot and see what is going on. You may find out that even though the surface is dry, the bottom is soggy. Check out the roots - if they are dark, mushy, and/or smell bad, the roots rotted. If so, it may be a goner. :cry: :cry: But if there are enough roots left that are white and solid and healthy, you can try cutting off all the bad ones and repotting the plant in fresh potting soil - no moisture control and try mixing it with extra perlite or coarse sand or cactus mix to improve drainage.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”