opp2

questions about jasmine

I didn't know where else to post this so I thought here might be ok. I have a jasmine my husband bought for me two years ago. It was flowering then. It hans't flowered since, however it has grown three new vines. This past two months it grew a new vine again. Suddenly the vine has stopped, and the plant has lost about three leaves, and has another 4 yellow ones. I asked to make sure he wasn't watering the plant as well as I. I think the house keeper may have inadvertently sprayed something on it but I'm not sure. Anythoughts?

Newt
Greener Thumb

A couple of thoughts come to mind. I'm wondering when you last repotted it. It may be rootbound as that will cause yellowing of leaves and a slowdown of growth. It may need a pot 2" larger.

Lack of bloom could be from too much nitrogen. Perennial vines that get too much fertilizer will put their energy into the growth of leaves at the expense of flowers.

Any of that sound like the cause?
Newt

opp2

Newt wrote:A couple of thoughts come to mind. I'm wondering when you last repotted it. It may be rootbound as that will cause yellowing of leaves and a slowdown of growth. It may need a pot 2" larger.

Lack of bloom could be from too much nitrogen. Perennial vines that get too much fertilizer will put their energy into the growth of leaves at the expense of flowers.

Any of that sound like the cause?
Newt
I've never potted it, so that could be the cause. I haven't fed it yet either.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Sounds like a new pot is in order. You can use an organic fertilizer like fish emulsion or fish emulsion mixed with seaweed. You could fertilize once or twice this winter and then once a month or less in spring and summer.

For plants that bloom I like a tablespoon of milk in the watering can. It's amazing what it does to aid in flowering. I just add milk when I think of it or add water to a milk container when I've just finished the milk and water with that.

Newt

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”