Juliew

What's eating my plant?

I have a hypoestes-phyllostachya-confetti (polka dot plant) in my container garden. Something is eating it at an alarming rate. I have removed the affected leaves and have used an insecticidal soap product (twice now). I have not seen any critters on the tops or undersides of the leaves. But, after a few days, I see many damaged leaves. Any idea what's eating it? Any suggestions on how to stop it before the entire plant is gone? BTW, this is not happening to the other plants in the container.
Thank you for any and all suggestions/advice :D
Julie
Attachments
image.jpeg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's odd that other plants aren't being eaten. But I believe that what you have is slugs or snails. They are not insects so insecticidal products (even poisons) do not bother them. You will never see them in the daytime. You will find them if you come out late at night with a flashlight and check under sides of leaves, leaf-stem joints etc.

If you confirm that you have slugs (or snails), you can use diatomaceous earth on and around your plants (works fine but has to be reapplied after rain) or organic slug bait. Some people swear by beer traps (put beer in a shallow dish and bury it so rim is even with ground).

Juliew

Thank you Rainbowgardener -
I know what I'm doing tonight :)

Juliew

Rainbowgardener -
You were right. I found a big, fat slug last night. I will order some DE, but until I get it, my husband will have to share his beer!
Thanks again,
Julie

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you found a big fat one, you can bet there are more including babies.

One way to find them is to lay a board flat on the soil. Leave it a couple days, then come out in the heat of the day and lift it. You are likely to find a bunch of them hiding under it.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”