Danielr_31
Newly Registered

Outdoor to indoor Hibiscus

I have recently brought my hibiscus tree plants indoors because of the cold weather coming. It was flowering and robust outside. But I fear that it will get sick and wilt indoors. What can I do to help it? Any suggestions?
Attachments
image.jpeg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow, your hibiscus is beautiful and it is lovely in your nice setting of wood floor and brick wall.

Unfortunately, you cannot expect that it is going to keep performing the same way indoors in winter, in very much less light, dry air, etc. Here's some instructions I found about over-wintering your tropical hibiscus:
  • Before you bring them inside, cut back your plant(s) quite a bit, to within 4-5" of the main stems. This does a few things: it will help eliminate the bugs and insects that hide in the plants BEFORE they get inside. They like to hang out in the tips of the branches, in the newest growth. Also remove any dead leaves, stems., old flowers or debris in the pots, or on the plants.
  • If you want the best chance of having healthy, vigorous plants with flowers next summer, your plants need to rest indoors during the shorter days from October till Feb. or March. DO NOT push them to keep blooming indoors and leave them full of old foliage.
  • After cutting back your plants, but before they come inside, be sure and hose them down , making sure to blast the stems, under the leaves, etc. Let them dry thoroughly and bring them inside. This will eliminate the need for any insecticide at all. if you must spray, insecticidal soaps and neem oil work well. Drench the upper and lower parts of the leaves, as well as the stems and let dry thoroughly outside for a day or so before they come inside.
  • The leaves will probably turn yellow and fall off when the plants are brought inside, this is normal. They will regrow when they are ready. In the meantime, water very sparingly! Do not keep the soil wet. It is best to let the soil become almost bone dry before soaking it again. Do not let any water sit under the plants in saucers, etc.
  • Your plants will rest and may not produce new leaves until late February or March. This is normal too.
https://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”