deebear32
Newly Registered

Christmas Cactus

Hi, :D I am new to this site and a little new at gardening inside and outside of my house in the city. I have a question about my christmas cactus (I think thats what u call it anyway) that someone gave me about 3 years ago. It has never bloomed, even when I gave it to my friend that has three and they grow so well and bloom,but mine never seems to no matter what. Not sure what to do can someone help me Please?????? :cry: Thanks a bunch!!!!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the site,

What seems to be the trick for my Christmas Cactus and my Aunts (which she's had for years now and it is huge) changing the soil every year. I use an organic, non sterilized potting soil mixed 50:50 with compost (non sterilized) and several handfulls of mushroom manure. I realize that you live in the city and it might be hard to find a place to mix this and repot your plant but, our cacti have beatiful blooms each year.

We reopt in the spring.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well shoot, I bet that's what's wrong with mine! It blooms beautifully, but it is the slowest growing plant I have, and he isn't very big either.

Opa, do you think I have to wait until Spring? We have a couple of warmer days coming up and I could easily take it outside and change the soil then, I even have mushroom compost on hand.

Newt
Greener Thumb

I havent changed the soil in my plant for about 3 years now and it blooms it's head off several times a season. I think one of the reasons is it's in a south facing window in a room that hardly ever has lights turned on.

Btw, there are different varieties of Schlumbergia aka Zygocactus. Some bloom at Thanksgiving, some Christmas and some around Easter. Here's some helpful info.
https://www.valentine.gr/Schlumbergera_en.htm
https://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Cactaceae/Schlumbergera.html
https://www.fernlea.com/xmas/cactinfo.htm
https://themagicgarden.com/library/houseplants.html#ChristmasCactus

Newt

deebear32
Newly Registered

Thanks a bunch, I will try this, this weekend with repoting it. Thanks Again everyone. :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You can always try Grey and let us know what happens, I don't forsee any major problems.

otnorot

The best way to make a christmas cactus bloom in the fall/winter is to let it dry out just hold back on watering.
Bill

bellegurl
Newly Registered

Hello everyone! Pleased to meet you all! I am also new to this forum. I just got a beautiful Christmas cactus yesterday. I know nothing about them--except they are lovely when in bloom, as mine is now. What I want to know is, will mine bloom again next year automatically, or is there something in particular that I must do to induce blooms? Thanks!!

Sorry, I know this question is a little redundant when reading the previous posts, but I am NOT a gardener and need step-by-step directions to help me out!! :D

bali

Not to contradict ..Mine blooms in the north window with out sun.
I never keep mine in the sun.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

bellegurl wrote:Hello everyone! Pleased to meet you all! I am also new to this forum. I just got a beautiful Christmas cactus yesterday. I know nothing about them--except they are lovely when in bloom, as mine is now. What I want to know is, will mine bloom again next year automatically, or is there something in particular that I must do to induce blooms? Thanks!!

Sorry, I know this question is a little redundant when reading the previous posts, but I am NOT a gardener and need step-by-step directions to help me out!! :D
Welcome! Google zygocactus to learn about your new plant. :)

I never do anything special to mine, and they bloom every year. I have some that bloom at Easter, some that bloom at Thanksgiving, and some that bloom at Christmas. One of my favorite kinds of plants. :)

bali

The Easter is called Easter cactus..
Different bloom for sure .. I just got that one.

Nice easy plants........ :D

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”