Juliew

Live moss in container garden

I placed live (native) Florida moss in my miniature (container) garden. It's been doing really well until recently. I keep it watered regularly because that's what it likes in its natural habitat. But now, it looks like there's 'frost' on it. I don't know if it's a type of mildew or mold, or if it could be blooms, or something else.
I keep it on my back porch where it gets bright light, but no direct sunlight. When we get a blowing rain, the container does get a little wet.

What's interesting is that the moss that's outside lives in the shade and gets a lot of water (we've had tons of rain lately), and it does not have this white 'frost' on it.
I have no idea what type of moss it is, but it's very compact, and bright green when it it gets shade and plenty of water.
If it makes any difference, I've read that patches of moss are made up of thousands of tiny plants that get there nutrients from the air and water, and do not need soil. When I got it from its natural habitat, it came up with some sandy soil, less than 1/4" thick. I placed it directly on the potting mix in my container.
Any ideas on what this could be? I can post a picture if need be.
Thanks for any and all help! :)
Julie

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Julie,

Warm welcome to the forum.

Pictures would help.

A general comment - moss does best in a very moist, full shade environment.

Take a hint from nature. Your moss growing in the ground in full shade with lots of water is doing fine. You can over water moss so make sure your containers have drainage. Even moisture and shade are the key points.

Good luck

:-()

BTW: Please update your profile to include your county. You will get a much better response to future questions with a specific local.

:()

Juliew

image.jpg
Thank you, ElizabethB. I appreciate your response. I'm posting a picture that shows what I'm talking about.
Also, I thought my county - Brevard - was on my post. Sorry if it's not there.
Thanks again,
Julie

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, moss is a very primitive plant. It does not "bloom" (produce flowers) per se. But it does have fruiting bodies that produce and give off the spores for reproduction. This consists of a stalk with a spore capsule. The spore capsules are held up above the main moss plant. I think that is what you are looking at.

Get a magnifying glass, you will be able to see it much better.

Juliew

Thanks rainbowgardener, I will. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”