Ddp7
Newly Registered

How can I fix my pot? Seems that sand is coming through it.

I purchased this beautiful pot for my palms and it seems that sand is coming through the actual pot. Anyone had this problem? I've wet it and it comes off but within a couple of hours it comes through again. Please help! It was an expensive buy! :(
Attachments
image.jpg

Ddp7
Newly Registered

It's more chalky. It's so strange.

imafan26
Mod

Is your water hard? It may be from your well. I have had water spots before and they do show up more on dark glazes, but yours is more than I have seen. Try a water filter like clean water fun. It fits on the end of your hose and uses a charcoal filter to filter out impurities in your water.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

It might be efflorescence, which is an accumulation of salts and minerals. These salts remain trapped in the pot material until water dissolves it and allows it to escape through small pores. Then the water evaporates, leaving the white crystal powder on the surface.

A sealer could be applied to the inside if the pot to prevent water seepage. But I don't know how this would affect the plant. The sealant would cause the pot to be more vulnerable to breakage during freezing cold weather. Even though efflorescence is harmless, it probably will wear out the blue glazing over time. White vinegar is effective for wiping the efflorescence off of the pot, but the white salt-mineral substance will come back each time the plant is watered.

You could try to return the pot. You certainly have a good argument.

My clay pots do the same thing. But they don't have a blue glaze, so it doesn't look too bad.

imafan26
Mod

If the pot is glazed it should not leach through the glaze. The glaze should act like a sealer. Terra cotta pots do breathe and they do accumulate salts from the water over time, but that is because they are not sealed. I have had water spots on glazed pots before and they show up easier on dark glazes.

Ddp7
Newly Registered

Thank you all so much for your help. I'm going to try your suggestions. Unfortunately, I bought the pot while on vacation about 5 hours away from home so I'm not going to be able to return it.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Just an idea. I have some nice pots similar to yours - beautiful maroon red glaze and dark green glaze. I use one of them as a base for one of my bird baths. I know you bought those nice blue pots for you palms, but since the finish is leaking, you could replace them with unglazed clay pots and then repurpose the glazed pots as bird bath bases.

imafan26
Mod

I know it would be a headache, but maybe you should test the pot to make sure it is leaking from the inside. You would have to take the palm out and fill the pot with water and let it sit and see if the water comes through to the outside. You can temporarily put a cork in the drain hole.

If the pot is for a palm and nothing edible, you may be able to use something like liquid rubber or Thompson's water seal on the inside of the pot.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”