ahl389

Can someone ID what's going on with my leaves..

Not sure if this is something to worry about, also would love some advice on how to treat it, if it is an issue

On pumpkins:

On gourds:

imafan26
Mod

What does the underside look like. Stippling on leaves can be from mites or thrips. Tap the leaf onto a sheet of white paper and see if anything drop that looks like paprika drops onto the paper, if the paprika moves, then you have your answer. These insects are very tiny, but you can see them with a loupe or microscope.

For red spider mites which are common in hot dry weather, the underside of the leaves may show some bronzing, or reddish coloration.

They can be difficult to control. However, their predators do a better job than chemincals.

You can help the plants by blasting the undersides of the leaves with a jet of water to dislodge them and keep the dust off the plants. Spidermites crawl and don't have wings but they fly being carried by the dust in the wind.

Sulfur does work on them, but sulfur and horticultural oils can burn the plants in hot weather especially when temperatures exceed 80 degrees F. Chemicals will also likely kill the predators.

ahl389

Thanks for the good info. I looked at the underside of all the affected leaves, and what I saw looked like dirt. I tried the paper thing and the "dirt" came off. Then a couple little "dirt" specs started running about on my paper. I am watching them now - very tiny little brown dots, not red. Other than what's photographed the coloring of the leaves is normal on the top and underside. I'll also note that all of the affected leaves are at the bottom of the plants.

imafan26
Mod

There are different species of mites. They are all microscopic spiders. The red spider mites are the most common but there are black ones too.
This link is useful for the common pests that suck plant juices and offer some practical controls. Blasting the mites off with a jet of water on the undersides of the leaves. Some people even use vacuums to blow or suck off insect pests.

https://extension.missouri.edu/p/g7274

ahl389

Thanks, I'll definitely do some reading up.

As another question - you mentioned predators, and I would love to utilize more natural methods of pest control. My yard is more or less free of everything lovely like honey bees and butterflies and ladybugs. I get the occasional little bird who flies in, sits on my trellis, and then departs. I live in a highly urban area. Is there a way to attract more little beneficial critters? My plants should be flowering soon, especially the sunflowers, they've got big buds. Anything else?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”