sepiaru
Newly Registered

Fuzz on Mint?

Hello! I'm very, very new at this gardening thing and I chose a potted mint. However, I noticed that there are these white fuzz/hair all over my mint, and I actually have no idea if that's normal or if it's some fungal thing. It didn't seem like powdery mildew to me and google was no help. Help would be greatly appreciated!
mint.jpg

applestar
Mod

Some mint varieties are hairy/fuzzy. Was your mint a named variety?

There are all different kinds. Yours look closest to my spearmint but maybe the leaves are more oval and not as narrow/pointed as mine.

I have two kinds of spearmint -- at least they taste like spearmint -- and one of them is fuzzy, the other is smooth and more crinkly.

Peppermint and relatives have purplish color to the stem and foliage and smooth oval leaves.

My Applemint is very fuzzy -- soft and wooly especially new leaves -- with big oval leaves.

sepiaru
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply! I bought it from Home Depot and it was only labeled "Mint" (I feel so very uneducated/uninformed here because I know zero things about gardening haha). I thought it was Spearmint as the leaves are more narrow/pointy, but the newer ones sprouting seem very oval which is a bit confusing. I just figured it'll narrow as it grows...

I noticed that there are the white fuzzes on some mint leaves while not on the others, which was why I was concerned. However, your answer is making me wonder if some variety/other parts got mixed in somehow and now I'm growing two different mints or a variety that's a mix of spearmint/applemint (for example) in one pot.

Your answer helped me to put my mind at ease about the fuzz though! Thank you!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”