YourMoveKaiba
Newly Registered

My window garden

View from my window
View from my window
So I have a small window garden which contains banana peppers, husky cherry tomatoes and sweet basil.

I was given these plants by a delivery truk driver as a "thank you gift" for giving her truck a jump in the parking lot of home depot.

My box is doing really well, but I worry my plants might be too cramped, now that they are bigger.

I need to reenforce my tomatos since they are getting so heavy they are starting to uproot and I will probably have to find a more sunny and safer place to put my box.

It outgrew the windowsill of my small apartment and the owners of the building keep pushing their flowers pots in front of my tomatoes so I worry they aren't getting enough sunlight.

Any and all advice on how to keep my small garden beautiful is very much welcomed, specially since autumn and winter are coming.

applestar
Mod

Maybe you can get matching flower pots to the one with flowers in it and plant the tomato and the peppers individually. Things look like they were designed/intended to be a collection when in matching theme. Tomato needs the biggest size pot, even Husky could be better with a 4-5 gal and peppers with 2-3 gallon. The basil could be in 1-2 gal. Use matching tomato cage or stake... decorative once if you want, and it will look like a charming grouping even your landlord would approve. (If you want to be economical, you could get free or nearly free pickle buckets and bakery buckets and possibly paint or otherwise decorate them, just need to drill some drainage holes.)

It'll be a bit tough to transplant the mature plants -- maybe easier with a helper ...or use a flattened cardboard like a stretcher to help you keep the plant straight and supported during the process. The fresh potting mix will give them a burst of fertilizer to boost them for the last stretch through the hot summer and then one more feeding to get them through fall until frost.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”