Bruceburns
Newly Registered

Need help with potted plants. Watering

I'm very new to gardening however really enjoy it. For the most part my gardens look really good however potted plants seem to give me some trouble. I do read the care Instructions, sun, part, use potting soil , ensure good drainage however I think I'm watering too much. Some of my plants are getting leaf burn or rot on the top where I water. I typically water at night and with the three shown almost everyday. Am I watering too much ?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Definitely looks like too much water to me. Never water on a set schedule. Instead, check each pot for dryness by sticking a finger an inch or two into each pot. If it's dry, then water thoroughly until water runs through the bottom of the pot. If the soil is still damp, then wait another day or two & test again.

However, an integral part of trying to assist you is knowing where you are located. And what's the weather been like lately?

Bruceburns
Newly Registered

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Buffalo, NY. Been averaging 75-80 last month.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Another question - how much sun are those plants getting?

Bruceburns
Newly Registered

Fuscia is under covered patio so some morning sun. Vine is on open patio however with a roof close mostly afternoon sun and dahlia is all day

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Fuchsia does not like ANY direct sun. I have never been able to keep them alive outdoors, because they always managed to get burned up. But I had one that absolutely thrived in my bathroom, where the only light was through a frosted glass window.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Here in Virginia, outdoor Fuschias do extremely well in either all-day dappled sun/shade or morning sun & afternoon shade. Have had nothing but success with them (so long as I can keep the deer away).
Can't think it would be any different for anyone else.

catgrass
Green Thumb

The yellow flowering vine is Black-eyed susan vine. Likes full sun, but will do ok with 6 hours or so. Prefers to be on the dry side.

Bruceburns
Newly Registered

So I should back off on watering the vine ? Maybe a once a week watering unless very hot weather.

Fuscia is under a covered patio and gets some morning sun so it should be fine where it is. Less water I'm assuming

What about Dahlia. I read they love moist conditions. I'm watering al pat every day

Bruceburns
Newly Registered

Any additional comments ?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

catgrass
Green Thumb

I would back off the watering. It may take a while for the vine to recover, meaning you'll lose some leaves. Mine was planted in the ground, and I'd water when it started to wilt. Not knowing how big the vine or container is, I can't answer that. Dahlias don't survive where I live, too much heat & humidity, so I can't answer that. I've never had a fuschia survive either! LOL!

imafan26
Mod

I love fuschia and I have grown a few of them here in Hawaii. The ones that come from the mainland are hard to keep alive the first year but after they acclimate they do fine in partial shade. They like to be evenly moist but no plant likes to be soggy. When you water, use a long spouted watering can. No plant likes to get their leaves wet especially at night. Watering in the morning is better, but if that is the best you can do. It is a good idea to check the dampness of the soil with your finger first. I ditch the saucers under the pots. Saucers should never be left with standing water.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”