kimberleane
Newly Registered

Mixing varieties in same container

I have nine varieties of bush beans; do I have to plant them in separate containers, or can I put 4-5 different ones per 24" long 10" deep planter boxes?

I'm obviously crazy planting this many varieties, but I also have 22 heirloom tomatoes varieties...so I'm okay with crazy.

The varieties are: pinkeye purple cowpeas, dragon tongue, top crop, soybean, royalty purple pod, golden wax improved, Cherokee wax, French filet, blue lake 47.

I also have black valentine from last season somewhere...

Thanks!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Short answer, Yes!
I stumbled on a pack of bush beans with 3 varieties, green, purple, yellow. I figured would be fun for g-son's garden (see Urban Gardener below), and I planted one large pot for myself. It's a good thing we're not depending on these beans for food survival, but fun to get a few.

imafan26
Mod

Mixing varieties in the same container sounds like fun. As long as you are not intending on saving seeds I guess you can. However with more plants, I would get a larger and deeper container so the roots can spread out,

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

You can definitely mix the varieties together, but to make checking maturation & harvesting easier, I would probably keep the shell beans planted separately from the snap/edible-pod beans.

kimberleane
Newly Registered

I'll separate them just to make things easier. I also have four varieties of okra that I was going to plant in the same bed, better keep them separate too! Thanks!

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Actually, with the okra it really doesn't make any difference since you'll know automatically by pod size when to pick them.

applestar
Mod

The container is way too small -- unless I misunderstood. You could plant TWO soybeans (Plants) in it. That's all. So this is like a trick question -- how can you mix varieties when total number of seeds that can be accommodated in the container is exceeded by the number of varieties....

Also, purple hull and top crop being southern peas are very different from other regular bush beans. Dragon Tongue is also I believe somewhat larger plant in a different way and at least mine seem to be starting to vine a bit -- not a completely bush type at all.

kimberleane
Newly Registered

For the last few seasons I've successfully grown four bean plants per container, but they were exclusively one type. They all yielded a pretty nice crop.

They are all individually planted now. I understood a cluster of 2-3 seeds could be 3 inches apart and in a 24" long pot with about a foot depth, I put four clusters. I can always thin them out according to type requirements later.

I've been growing corn in large window boxes the last five years, mostly because someone said I couldn't. So far none of my plants have had any problem with the space I give them and we still have plenty of handouts for friends. I'll read up about the differences in those beans to other bush. Thanks!

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

kimberleane wrote: I've been growing corn in large window boxes the last five years, mostly because someone said I couldn't.
A gardener after my own heart - lol!! I adore experimenting & getting to prove "expert" naysayers wrong. Makes for many fun, interesting, & more-frequently-successful-than-not challenges. :D

applestar
Mod

I hear ya :D
I try different things, too -- but I also like to plant in the ground to see what the difference in potential is, and at least in my case, the containers tend to stunt. But MAJOR MAJOR issue for me is watering because we usually have drought here and the container plants dry out with no reserve or option to send out roots to seek out more moisture. That and fertilizing.

(I've ventured into SIP -- sub-irrigated planter -- container growing this year and am seeing good results. Just not a 100% on board about growing in plastic containers.... :? )

This year, we are getting way more rain than normal, and my in-ground plants are showing me how much MORE they can grow. :-()

kimberleane
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:I hear ya :D
I try different things, too -- but I also like to plant in the ground to see what the difference in potential is, and at least in my case, the containers tend to stunt.
I am counting down the days I can plant in the ground! We moved back in with my parents to help start a family business and just as I'm living out of boxes, my poor plants are, as well. :( One day, we shall all be free! I also feel for all of those in drought areas. I turned down a high paying job in SF because I'd have to give up my garden. All my plants are currently on a screen pool deck, but under the second floor patio. So they get a lot of eastern light, then get a break the rest of the day. Florida sun is so brutal. Even my sun loving plants are like "give us a break already!" I used to have a pretty great drip irrigation set up, but I'm making best with the situation right now. Our rain is so sporadic and intense when we get it. Hope your plants keep getting plenty big!

One thing that does keep my plants growing, unbelievably so, is a discontinued plant food. When I ran out, I called the company because I couldn't find anyone carrying it, and they said it was discontinued, but sent me four bags complimentary because I was so in love with it. Now I want to break down the ingredients and make my own. It seems to have superhero strength steroids in it. I can see higher yield and next day growth spikes every time. The stuff is magic. I wonder why they discontinued it. :(

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”